Prewash precut fabric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prewash precut fabric?

What do you guys usually do? I'm worried about losing the crisp lines/exact measurements of a precut square-but don't want to risk shrinking after the quilt is put together. What rules of thumb do you follow?

Re: Prewash precut fabric?

Never wash a pre cut. There is no need to pre wash any quality fabric besides a flannel. The shrinkage is minimal you won't even notice it if your fabric is a good quality.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

NO NO NO NEVER WASH PRECUTS.... (charms, jelly rolls, and such) no only will you lose shape they will unravel
      :icon_wave::icon_woohoo:Kellie:icon_hi:

Comment

never wash the precuts
        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
        Sigmund Freud

Comment

I am a staunch pre washer. However I never wash pre cuts. Too much of a risk of fraying, shrinking and distortion. I have washed fat quarters only after serging the edges and only my batiks. If you are questioning if a square is going to bleed then do a spot test. Takea white wash cloth and dampen a corner of it. Then rub it on the suspect square. If color transfers to the washcloth then you will know. You could throw some color catchers in the wash when you wash the final project. Also the real issue isn't whether a fabric will bleed; it is whether the other fabrics will take up the dyes floating in the water. The color catchers snatch up those loose dyes. I've never had any issues when I have used the pre cuts and I use the pretty regularly; mostly charm packs and an occasional jelly roll. It doesn't make a difference if it is a LQS fabric or a discount fabric. I have had LQS fabric run and I've had Walmart fabric that didn't .

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

NEVER EVER WASH PRECUTS. Fabric doesn't shrink like it used to years ago, when shrinkage was the reason to wash everything. There will not be enough shrinkage that it will matter. The only thing I pre wash is flannel, but would still not was precuts of that either. You will have a nightmare on your hands if you do.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

What the others said and also wash it with colour catchers the first time after you finish the quilt, if you have mixed colours.
              ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

Thank you so much! I've never prewashed before...this quilt is for a special 3 year old, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't cutting any corners. I'm so appreciative of this forum-so awesome to be able to ask questions about my favorite pastime!

Comment

Working...
                X