• plix
    replied
    Re: How do you....

Press & seal...what a great idea. I've never heard of it

Leave a comment:

• Brantfordgirl
    replied

My favorite method for marking quilt tops for quilting ( and here I must admit that I have “sent out” the only two large quilts I’ve completed, I do my own wall hangings and table toppers) is to use a product by Glad called - Press and Seal. I cut strips to go were the quilting will go, place a stencil or ruler on the plastic wrap and draw with a fine permanent marker. I am able to plan and draw out the whole quilt at one time this way. I have been very happy with this method. There is however one down side - which I can live with - that is that if you do an intricate pattern where threads cross at an acute angle, there are bits of plastic left behind when the Press and Seal is ripped off. This means sitting and tweezing these areas, not hard just a little time consuming. (And hey with some lovely Christmas music..........)

Leave a comment:

• plix
    replied

I just threw mine on the floor, spread it out nice & flat, laid the stencil on top, & 'pounced'
    They make a chalk um......well....it's sort of like a sachet. Just a little pouch filled with chalk.
    They also make them like chalk board erasers. Anywaz, you just tap it on the stencil. But you can
    only do small areas at a time. the chalk does come off easily.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie
    replied

Hi there
    not a big machine quilter here yet, but, I do like using a chalk pen. I think others here will join in and give you better and more advice.
    Thanks for speaking up!!!!!!!!!
    Many blessings
    Blondie

Leave a comment:

• janluna
    replied

One instructor I had said if you use a water soluble pen you should do a little bit at a time if hand quilting because some of the pens will fade from the light as well. If you have a long arm I'm sure if you ask at the "ask the MSQC girls" they would tell you how to put the stencils on. If you are using your home machine I can't imagine trying to quilt a big quilt. If it something like a wall hanging I'd do it by hand. Hopefully others will answer your question.

Leave a comment:

• Susan B
    started a topic How do you....

How do you....

Hi,
    I am very new to quilting. I like the machine quilting. But would like others opinion on how to mark there quilt for certain designs like with stencils. What is a good method for marking out the stencil design? Look forward to some good suggestions!
    Thanks
    Susan
Working...
X