X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragonfly
    replied
    Re: How do you sew across seams?

Ah good point Lola, I also use the needle down position and yes I also am blessed with it as an option on my machine I think it is a must have on a sewing machine when looking at options. If you don't have it then simply turn your flywheel when you stop and before you lift the presser foot.

Leave a comment:

• Lola2Ace
    replied

I should have added that I stop with the needle down to make sure my blocks don't shift or move out from under the needle. My machine has a button that sets it in the needle down, but some machines don't have this feature--I feel blessed that I do have that!
    Lola

Leave a comment:

• newbiequilter
    replied

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes I do try to place the seams on the bottom or the other way but when you are butting seams one of them needs to face the needle. I've tried holding the seam down with a pin but your suggestions sound like they would work better. Will try a different tool.

Guess I'm reassured that others have the same issue!

Leave a comment:

• Dragonfly
    replied

Pat, firstly I agree with what Lola said and in addition, usually the reason they buckle is because they don't feed under the presser foot nicely. If your seams face the needle try stopping just as you get to them and gently ease the presser foot up and tuck the edge of the seam under it with a pin/scissor tip/ seam ripper/ stylus, whatever you have handy and then keep sewing.

Leave a comment:

• Lola2Ace
    replied

Hi Pat,
    I try to pin my blocks so the seams are away from the machine, but sometimes that isn't possible.
    When that happens, I stop the machine and use a stylus, or something very pointy, and make sure the seams aren't buckled. It takes a bit longer, but is worth it for a neater looking seam.
    Lola

Leave a comment:

• newbiequilter
    started a topic How do you sew across seams?

How do you sew across seams?

When you sew a new seam across other perpendicular seams some of the old seam edges point toward the needle. How do you keep those edges flat so they get sewn into the new seam without buckling? Is that clear?

I put a pin in the seam to hold it flat but it still kind of gathers. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with it? Since I'm mostly self-taught I'm hoping there is some secret to sewing seams that I haven't figured out.

Thanks in advance!

Pat
Working...
X