Blanket stitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blanket stitch

I am doing a blanket stitch for an appliqued circle. I know the stitches that jump to the left go onside the circle. But on the straight part of the stitch, does it actually pierce the circle or just to the outside of the circle. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for reading this.

Re: Blanket stitch

Hi Sunshine

I suppose this may depend on how you want it but normally the straight stitch or travel stitch would sit just off the edge of the fabric with only the sideways or bar stitch going onto the fabric. I think you will find that looks a lot neater and will be easier to sew. If you have the travel stitch on the applique piece it may distort your fabric making the edge sit up and even encourage fraying.
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Would you receommed blanket stitch or zigzag. This quilt will be used alot and I don't want any fraying over time. I know I might get some, but.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
        Hi Sunshine

I suppose this may depend on how you want it but normally the straight stitch or travel stitch would sit just off the edge of the fabric with only the sideways or bar stitch going onto the fabric. I think you will find that looks a lot neater and will be easier to sew. If you have the travel stitch on the applique piece it may distort your fabric making the edge sit up and even encourage fraying.
        Would you receommed blanket stitch or zigzag. This quilt will be used alot and I don't want any fraying over time. I know I might get some, but.....

Comment

Again this depends on how you want it to look. If it is not a turned edge or you have not used Vleisofix or similar to secure the circle then the reality is that it is a raw edge applique and it will probably eventually fray to some degree. Zigzag will enclose the edge a little more, and is maybe what I would use, satin stitch will do it even better but is a heavy stitch which may distort your fabric if not stabilised during stitching. A lot of these decisions are personal choice and how you want it to look.

Perhaps some of the other ladies will add their views which may help you.
          Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Working...
          X