Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pincushion Stuffing

Hi All

I know everyone loves to make pincushions. Just wondered what everyone used to stuff them with. I have been using polyfil but sometimes its too squishy and they don't hold their shape. Any suggestions?
    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Re: Pincushion Stuffing

Here are some ideas for a better product to use inside a pin cushion. Batting would certainly not be my choice.

http://buzzingandbumbling.blogspot.c...pin-cushi.html

This is what I would want to try if making a pincushion:

http://thesillyboodilly.blogspot.co....-stuffing.html
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; February 4th, 2013, 05:42 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I bought a bag of crushed walnut shells at PETCO at someones suggestion. It gives a very nice weight to the pin cushion.

Comment

I've also been using polyfill but I've just received some crushed walnut shells too and the tutorial I'm thinking of using also calls for fun foam and floral foam:

http://cuttopieces.blogspot.se/2012/...-tutorial.html
        ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Comment

I just tried to make a pincushion the other day using polyfil and it was horrible. lol. I use magnetic ones usually but I wanted to have a home made one around and for class and then a friend Now to hunt down some walnut shells. Our small pet shop isn't known for stocking things very much except for fish. lol. Great links!
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I use a combination of poly and crushed walnut shells for my pincushions. Crushed or pulverised walnut shells alone can over time wear through your fabric. No bueno!

I fill the cushion with the poly 'till about 75% full, make sure it's along all the sides, then make it hollow in the center. Use a funnel, fill it up with the crushed walnut shells, cover the top with poly, shape, fill any nooks that need filling.

Ruby
            sigpic Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Comment

I use rice and polyfill, and it works great. I bought the biggest, cheapest bag I could find, and lopped off the top of an empty soda bottle and used that for a funnel. The larger opening allows the rice to trickle in. A standard funnel, not so much...
              I really need to get off the exclamation point.
              It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

Sue I was just reading your quote at the bottom and had to write it out. Gave me a chuckle
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

My dh said that buckshot would be good because you can get different types. Piece and blesssings, Vicki

Comment

Oh wow fantastic links and great advice , I will get some gravel at the pet shop next time I go Thank you all
                    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                    Sigmund Freud

Comment

Ruby, What a good idea!! Piece and blessings, Vicki

Comment

I use polyfill and rice. I used to just use polyfill but they are not heavy enough.

I don't want to take a chance on killing someone with a nutty pincushion (I've been reading the posts about the allergies).
                        Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                        I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Originally posted by Wwena View Post
                          I've also been using polyfill but I've just received some crushed walnut shells too and the tutorial I'm thinking of using also calls for fun foam and floral foam:

http://cuttopieces.blogspot.se/2012/...-tutorial.html
                          No! No! NOOOO on the floral foam! Please make sure that it isn't made with formaldehyde or other dangerous chemicals. I worked for a florist and the stuff (especially the water holding kind) made her sick. If she had to use it, and sometimes she did, she sealed it up the best she could and used a respirator mask. If you get that stuff in an arrangement make sure your pets can't get to the water and wrap it up before disposing of it.

I have had one pincushion that was filled with sand. Not the expensive Emery sand, but playground or regular sand. It worked well and had a good weight. (I might not get it fresh from the beach, as that smell might not be real pleasant once it warms up.) I took it apart for a pattern and the sand ate up about 5 needles over the last 15 years. None of them were rusted when they came out either.
                          Walnut shells work. I usually put them in a muslin liner bag, the same as I would with the sand. The shells are lighter weight than the sand and I'm not sure if I will like them as well.
                          I have one that has a nice rock wrapped in a scrap of batting in the bottom. That one is pretty good sized, and shaped like a goat. I heard that washers stacked and tied together add nice weight at the bottom too.
                          Last edited by toggpine; February 4th, 2013, 02:05 PM.
                          Be who you are and say what you feel
                          because those who mind don't matter,
                          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I'm with Sue!!
                            thanks for the soda bottle tip... i am always "coneing" old poster boardweight!!!!! or looking for my kitchen funnel
                            "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                            that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

NO NO, buckshot is probably lead. Wouldn't want that. I like the idea of sand or rice. To many folks have nut allergies for my liking.
                              Originally posted by JimsQueenie View Post
                              My dh said that buckshot would be good because you can get different types. Piece and blesssings, Vicki
                              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X