9 Patch using Jelly Roll Strips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9 Patch using Jelly Roll Strips

I want to use Jenny's method of making 9 patches using Jelly Roll strips, but I'm not sure how many 9 patches one Jelly Roll will yield? Also, does anyone know how big of a 9 patch Jelly Rolls make? I want to make a quilt using snowball blocks and 9 patches, and I'm trying to figure out if I can get away with using a precut for the snowballs or if I need to buy yardage and cut them out myself. Thanks for your help! Here's a picture I found that is basically what I have in mind. I found it at http://www.sewmanyways.blogspot.com
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

~Proverbs 31:30

Re: 9 Patch using Jelly Roll Strips

Your 9 patch will wind up being 6.5" square. You'll need yardage for your snowballs.

Comment

Looks like I'll be switching it to a charm packs and 4 patches!
      sigpic

Comment

A 4 patch made out of a jelly roll will be 4.5" and charms are 5". You'd have to trim a half inch off a charm square for them to match up.
        K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

That's not nearly as much waste as 3 1/2".
          sigpic

Comment

I'm starting to work on that same nine-patch idea based on the video too. Instead of jelly rolls, I'm attacking my stash for autumn colors. Now, I'm wondering how much yardage (mostly from fats) I'll need to equal the yardage of a jelly roll. Still cutting the yardage into 2.5" strips to match with 6.5" squares.
            "Do what you can. Want what you have. Be who you are."
            by Forrest Church - Theologian

Comment

Originally posted by sunniegb View Post
              I want to use Jenny's method of making 9 patches using Jelly Roll strips, but I'm not sure how many 9 patches one Jelly Roll will yield? Also, does anyone know how big of a 9 patch Jelly Rolls make? I want to make a quilt using snowball blocks and 9 patches, and I'm trying to figure out if I can get away with using a precut for the snowballs or if I need to buy yardage and cut them out myself. Thanks for your help! Here's a picture I found that is basically what I have in mind. I found it at http://www.sewmanyways.blogspot.com
              If you are adding the cream to the mix, your jelly roll should go very far. She made a whole quilt out of just one yesterday and you will be adding another fabric. A Jelly roll is approximately 3 yards of fabric, and if you add the same in white/cream, you will have used 6 yards (maybe more) by the time you are finished. With the snowball blocks, adding even more yardage. I'd say you will have a "Full Size" quilt after borders. HTH.

Have you thought about doing it with the 16 patch instead? She has a tut for that, and shows the quilt so you can see the size. But, a 9 patch should work out to be the same size as the one she made.
              Last edited by kensington; February 2, 2013, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I can't wait to see this one when it is done.
                Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Using a jelly roll, how many 9 patch blocks will you get? Am needing to do the dancing nines for grandkids. I will need to make 9 quilts, so I really need to know how many 9 patch I can plan on getting from a jelly roll. Obviously will need to purchase several jelly rolls, so I need help with planning this.

Comment

My math: from a Jelly Roll you get 13 sets of 3 strips that are WOF. You cut each of these strips sets in 16 slices 2 1/2" wide, so you have (16 x 13) = 208 groups of slices (3 squares) that you mixmatch in groups of 3 to get (208 / 3) = 69 units of your 9P blocks. You'll have a strip left.

Comment

If you're mixing background with your jelly roll strips you would make one strip set that has 2 color with background between and another with one color with background on each side. You need twice as many of the first set.
                      Vernona (Beaverton OR)

Comment

Working...
                      X