Rag Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rag Quilt

can you use regular cotton fabric for a rag quilt. or should it be flannel? would regular fabric fray as well?
    Patrice

Re: Rag Quilt

Patrice it doesn't work as well (in my opinion), I've seen it done and it is possible but it does not fluff as well or as quickly, you get a much nicer immediate effect with flannel.

PS It doesn't work at all well with high thread count fabrics like the batiks, they simply don't fray well.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; November 24, 2010, 06:35 AM. Reason: PS
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

ditto what Lynn said. I have found that homespun ravels very nicely - the cheapie stuff you can find at Wal-not; it is like Lynn said; the thread count is too high on better fabrics.
      Sewing mends the soul.
      sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
      Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

thanks ladies!
        Patrice

Comment

I have had success with cotton on the outsides and flannel as my batting. The more you wash it the better it looks. I use Hancock's for my fabric for these quilts so I wouldn't say it is high quality fabric...but it's not as bad as Wal-mart...I certainly wouldn't use my Moda though....
          Michele

Comment

I have made several rag quilts, 8 1/2 " squares x25 for a 5 rows of 5 squares makes a good size baby blanket. I have always made my quilts with cotton on one side and flannel on the other, I use a 7" flannel in the center for the batting. I do suggest getting a pair of the rag snip(scissors), which you can buy from MSQC. I have also used 5" charm packs with minkee and cotton with the batting 4" flannel.

Here is a quick idea (copy and paste in your address bar)
            http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/06/...emat.html#more
            Happy Quilting
            Daniela

http://pinkquotidian.blogspot.com/

Comment

thanks for the website. will check it out
              Patrice

Comment

Here is a quick idea (copy and paste in your address bar)
                http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/06/...emat.html#more
                yeah...but...but.....that would mean cutting into my MODA!!! have you gone mad woman???
                Michele

Comment

I just finished a Rag Scarf. I used cotton for the top squares batting in the center and flannel on the back. It was my first rag experience but I think it came out great.

photo.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by rcski2000 View Post
                    I just finished a Rag Scarf. I used cotton for the top squares batting in the center and flannel on the back. It was my first rag experience but I think it came out great.

[ATTACH]2155[/ATTACH]
                    oh I like it. i can't wait to try one
                    Patrice

Comment

Love the scarf, what a cool idea! It came out great!
                      There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Working...
                      X