New project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New project

In the New year I am hoping to take a class to make a kaleidoscope quilt. Has anyone made one before?
    sigpic
    Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Re: New project

Is that a stack 'n whack quilt? I've never done one but I have the ruler. lol
    Pinky

Comment

Isn't a kaleidoscope quilt done by fussy cutting designs and then putting them together in circles sort of? I saw a tutorial on it but I can't remember what site I saw it on. If I find it again I will copy the address and send it to you. I know you can use a dresden plate to do it with. And they are beautiful. I'll try and remember. Love ya, Jan
      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

There are a number of different quilts/blocks with this name from very simple to quite complex, do you mean this type of block? If you do then this is from the Stack and Whack book or 2nd book, Stack and Whackier or something similar. They are fun but require some very careful fabric placement and cutting. It's fantastic fun seeing how each block will turn out and how different they can be from the same fabric.

Jenny has a tutorial on the piecing of this style blocks using the turnover pack and its cute but each triangle is a different fabric so you don't get the true kaleidoscope effect. The thrill of these blocks is in the cutting of the pieces.

Huh, again regardless of the size I make the photo it comes out big, this photo problem really needs some attention...HuHum...AL...pretty please.
        Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Dragonfly: Your pictures are the perfect size on my computer x

I've never attempted a kaleidoscope before but I've loved every one I've seen so I hope you give it a go. I've always loved this one:

Quilting through the dull times
          northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

That is beautiful ...nice job
            One Moment at a time

Comment

This is beautiful it looks to complicated for a beginner like myself, Although I would love to make one.

Comment

Wow Jill that's really beautiful. Not in my lifetime. I'll never get there but I can drool on other peoples.
                Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Originally posted by jrchapman View Post
                  Dragonfly: Your pictures are the perfect size on my computer x
                  What's really odd is that now, having had the computer off, they are a different size, in fact now a little too small to see detail...I give up.

Jill that quilt is lovely, do you know who made it? I like what they have done with the different sizes and construction styles. That one uses diamonds and equilateral triangles with six points where mine have eight, and requires even fussier cutting than the blocks I've done and the fabrics are lovely.

Don't be put off by the apparent complexity of these blocks ladies, it's a bit like paper pieced blocks, they can look very complex but not be hard to do, these are actually lots of fun. I'd say the only really important skill for these is a 'consistent' seam allowance, so whatever your seam allowance is, it needs to be the same for all seams so the designs line up the same each time.

Try starting with the block Jenny does in the tutorial and you will see how easy it is and then you can progress to fussy cut triangles, you will be amazed how much fun it is.
                  Last edited by Dragonfly; November 20, 2010, 05:04 PM.
                  Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I can't claim that one (although I'd love to). The quilter's name is Alice Kay and she's done some beautiful quilts. I used one of them as inspiration for my blue and white quilt. You can see more of her stuff here: Alice Kay's Quilt Gallery

My picture looks huge on my computer, is it enormous on everyone else's?
                    Quilting through the dull times
                    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrchapman View Post
                      My picture looks huge on my computer, is it enormous on everyone else's?
                      Yes I had to scroll across to look at it all. I can't believe that mine changed size on my computer all by themselves. I still think Al need to poke a spanner in the picture works...especially since i can only upload from photobucket not my computer.
                      Lynn

Comment

I would love to learn this method also,they all look so lovely.
                        Quilting is good therapy.

Comment

Yes, Jr, your pic is huge but beautiful! I'll never be able to do that. But gosh it's pretty.
                          Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

So pretty....I just wish I had the patience for fussy cuts....
                            Michele

Comment

I like them-just don't know if I could make one.
                              Shelia

Comment

Working...
                              X