Quilting Glossary Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting Glossary Help

Hey, can you all give me a hand, I'm trying to help Sarah put together a quilting glossary to hand out in our beginner quilt kits and such, but I'm not soo savvy on the most relevant quilting terms, and it seems like every quilting glossary I can find on google is trying to be the exhaustive glossary of quilt terms with hundreds of terms defined. What would you say are the top 25 or so terms a new quilter needs defined to be successful and NOT intimidated by quilting? (full disclosure, they also need this for the class mom shot )

Re: Quilting Glossary Help

WOF = Width of Fabric
    Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
    hugs, Suzi
    http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
    it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

Fabric Grain:

Fabric Grain effects they way fabric will hang and drape. There are three types of fabric grain.
      • Lengthwise grain refers to the threads in fabric which run the length of the fabric, parallel to the selvedge of the fabric.
      • Crosswise grain are the threads that run perpendicular to the selvedge of the fabric or the cut edge of the fabric as it comes off the bolt.
      • Bias grainis the thread line that is at a right angle to the lengthwise and crosswise grain of the fabric as it is on the bolt. The bias has stretch in woven fabric and will hang differently than a garment that has been cut on the straight or crosswise grain.
      Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
      hugs, Suzi
      http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
      it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

Selvedge Most new people don't know what it is and that we have to cut it off when we start cutting fabric. You come up with the description cause I'm too dumb to. Thanks, Jan
        Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Wow, that is going to take some editing! I have a really great book; "The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide" and it has pretty much everything I have ever needed to know. As I am learning new stuff I can just dig in there and find what I need. The girls may need to expand the glossary as the classes/kits get more advanced.

My guess is you are going to need to explain at least the following for the very beginners:
          Applique (if that is included in the lesson/kit)
          Bias edges
          Seam allowances (1/4") why they are important to keep even, & the pressing of them
          Squaring up of the block
          Sashing
          Backing fabric & how to piece it together for larger quilts.
          Batting types & how it affects quilting spacing
          Layering of the quilt & why you need a bit of extra backing fabric around the edges
          Binding: How to make it & apply it. Can you use straight grain or do you need bias cut binding.
          Quilting techniques: hand vs. machine

I am sure there are a bunch more I am missing, but the other ladies will help fill it in I am sure.
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!!! keep them coming, I'm sure there's a few more must haves!!

Comment

These are some of things I had to look up when I first started. Some of them might just be a language thing (still getting used to the fact that most patterns are written in America) and some of them I hadn't come across in dressmaking so I assume they must be particular to quilting:
              • A scant quarter inch (as opposed to a plain quarter inch)
              • Appliqué
              • Bargello
              • Bias
              • Binding
              • Block
              • Design wall
              • Echo quiliting
              • Fat quarter
              • Foundation piecing
              • Free motion quilting
              • Freezer paper (still don't know why you would ever put this in the freezer)
              • Loft (of batting)
              • Prarie points
              • Quilt top (seems self explanatory but was a mystery to me - I thought it was the top edge rather than the whole top layer)
              • Redwork
              • Rotary cutter
              • Stash (just called it a pile of fabric before I started quilting)
              • Stippling
              • Stitch in the ditch
              • Tone on tone
              • Value (of colour/tone - obviously all of our quilts are priceless)
              • Walking foot
              • White on white

Hope that helps x
              Quilting through the dull times
              northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

template or a quilters ruler
                Sewing mends the soul.
                sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

JR you are so funny. Good ideas I just love the way you stated them. LOL And I thought the same way you did before I started quilting. I didn't know stash from a hole in the ground. LOL Thanks for the giggle. Hugs, Jan

Comment

JR tell the next police officer you meet thanks for being so vigilant. They saved us yet again from having a bomb explode on our soil from Yemen. People in America are thankful to the people in GB that keep us safe. God Bless them. Love, Jan

Comment

Lets add;
                      HST - half square triangles
                      QST - quarter square triangles
                      Templates
                      Borders - not the one with Mexico
                      Connector corners - how did we ever live without them
                      Vleisofix (or similar fusible web) - how did we applique without this little gem
                      And lets not forget 'LABELS', every quilt should have one

PS Jill, freezer paper actually is very good in freezers, does a great job, I wish we could buy it for its intended use here in Australia.
                      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Working...
                      X