Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

quilting experts, newbie has a question ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quilting experts, newbie has a question ???

My 17 yo daughter and I are making this quilt from the you tube tutorial. We have very little sewing experience but tried it anyways. Once we are finished with the quilt top I plan on having the girls at Missouri Star quilt it and give it to my daughter for christmas. OK, here's my question and I have attached a pic showing what I'm talking about. My seams are not lining up and therefore the blocks on the rows are kind of "wonky" looking. Other than it affecting the look of the quilt, can it still be put together ok and quilted.
    Attached Files

Re: quilting experts, newbie has a question ???

You can still piece it and quilt it just fine. You can even it all out in the borders if you want to add some. If your measurements and cuts are all right you might be losing just a smidge in the seaming. If you are not using a scant 1/4" on a pattern it throws things off.

But I think it looks good! And what quality time you get to spend with your daughter....fun fun!! It's so hard at that age to find things to do together that don't involve shopping....
    Michele

Comment

I think Michele may be right, if your seam allowances are not all the same then your blocks will end up different sizes. You could try measuring each block to see if this is the case and perhaps trim some blocks a little to get them all about the same size. Your fabrics are nice and it is a great way to spend time with your daughter.
      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

The first 3 quilts I made didn't line up on some rows and other rows they lined up perfectly. Once I bought a quarter inch foot for my machine, things got a lot better. I still have some problems with pieced blocks staying on point, but it will come with practice.

When it's made with love, it doesn't really matter how precise your corners are. It's a gift from the heart and hearts aren't perfect.

By the way, your quilt is beautiful and I know your daughter will treasure all her life.

Teresa

Comment

If you nest your seams the points always come out good. Jenny shows how on the charm pack quilt tutorial. And that 1/4 inch foot is the best thing since bubblegum!
          Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

As a newbie I, too, experienced this. I found, however, that by squaring up each block to the same size you can help fudge the factor where our seams may not always have been perfect. Heck, I made two quilts before anyway told me about squaring up blocks! They came out perfectly useable and the process was very educational.

Comment

Working...
            X