Flannel quilt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flannel quilt question

I am making a flannel lap quilt. This is my first quilt so I have been looking around on the web a lot for tips. I have read a few places that say to iron the seam allowances open rather than to one side because of the bulkiness.

I was wondering if anyone has heard this too? What is the best way? I don't want to finish it and then it not last a good long time.

Thanks for the help

Re: Flannel quilt question

You could make a flannel rag blanket and then you won't have to do anything with the seams. I've attached a picture of the one I made.

Teresa
    Attached Files

Comment

I've recently made several flannel quilts. I just iron the one side. It really hasn't been a problem. Just make sure that when you're sewing patches together that the seam allowances are going in opposite directions. Jenny shows you how to do this is some of her videos. I believe the tutorial on how to make a four patch shows you what I'm talking about.
      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Thanks I will check out that one. I was watching a lot of the tutorials last night but must have missed that one.

I have made a rag quilt tote bag and love it. I want this quilt to be more traditional.

Comment

Teresa, Love your rag quilt. Going to try that. Well it's on my list.
          Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

I've made many flannel quilts, rag quilts included. I have found that ironing the seam allowances open or to one side really doesn't matter. The key is choosing a simple pattern to make, you don't want a lot of little pieces as the bulk of the flannel then gets in the way.
            See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by craftyladysam View Post
              Teresa, Love your rag quilt. Going to try that. Well it's on my list.
              Saundra - glad you liked it. It's probably one of the easiest quilts I've ever done. The only problem is when you wash it the first time...OMG does it ravel!

Comment

i want to try the rag quilt as well. just have so many desires for so many projects... try hard to stick to my rules... rule one... no buying new fabric till current quilt is complete. rule two. .... i forget... oh keep area neat and clean... so many rules.... i made for myself... seemed to fly out the window a long time ago...
                all the best
                Gina

Comment

Originally posted by MarianneK View Post
                  I've made many flannel quilts, rag quilts included. I have found that ironing the seam allowances open or to one side really doesn't matter. The key is choosing a simple pattern to make, you don't want a lot of little pieces as the bulk of the flannel then gets in the way.
                  Thanks for the input. It has pretty large pieces.I wanted to be able to finish it pretty quickly. I have found that for me finishing my first attempt a something really spurs me on. If I tried anything with a lot of little pieces I was afraid I wouldn't finish it, lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X