Should I be back stitching?.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I be back stitching?.

I have one table runner and five placemats left to quilt today. I have already done nine already and one tanle runner but now I'm worried. None of the tutorials i have watched show anyone backstitching at the end of their "rows". Is this going to cause issues when they are washed?

Also, I keep getting this birdsnest of thread at the beginning of my stitch rows! It's maddening! I have a scissor thingy on my machine that automatically cuts the thread....if that tells you anything.

Re: Should I be back stitching?.

No back stitch required, as end of one seam is nested inside another. Does that make sense?
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

To help with the birdnest thing, trying pulling the top and bottom thread to the back and holding it down when you start to stitch a row. Some machines need a little help.

Comment

I stitch with a smaller stitch than most people do because I'm afraid that the ends will eventually start coming unstitched. I guess I have that fear because my aunt made my children quilts when they were small and when i washed them, they started falling apart. However, she didn't use quality cotton fabric and a lot of the damage was because the edges frayed past the stitching line. I think she bought a poly-blend from walmart that had a pretty sparse weave. Plus it was a tacked quilt so the fabric had more room to shift when it was washed. Anyway...I put way too much work into quilts to take a chance on them falling apart.

I used to backstitch and it was no problem. It's just easier to use a smaller stitch. As far as the birds nest, I just hold my top and bottom thread, as Linda suggested, until I have a few stitches sewn.
        Bec

Comment

Are you talking about when you are piecing or when you are quilting?
          When piecing it helps to sew onto a small scrap of fabric then off that piece onto your squares without cutting in between.
          If you are talking about when you are quilting then you should leave a longer thread tail, pull the bobbin thread to the top, tie it off and bury the thread in the sandwich.

Comment

Here is a video with Leah Day... she shows you some basics and also shows you what to do so you dont get the clumping in the back.
            http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6nz0QwNv1AA
            Last edited by Madeforyouinma11; December 16th, 2012, 10:29 AM.
            Cil
            A quilt is a blanket of love
            http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
            http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

When you begin a new line of quilting bring your needle down and back up; it should bring a small loop from the bobbin to the top of the quilt....push both back under the foot and begin quilting....when done quilting tie the two threads into a single knot, thread a needle and bury the knot between the top and batting layers....secures your quilting lines so they don't unravel....at the end of a line of stitching if you tug on the top thread it will pull up a tiny loop and you grab that loop and again tie a knot and bury in the two layers of the quilt...I don't use the auto cut when I am quilting...I lift the needle and move several inches over and then drop the foot and then cut so I have several inches of thread to work with so I can tie off the threads and bury them! Hope this helps....I learned most of this from YouTube!

Comment

Originally posted by lilmouse View Post
                When you begin a new line of quilting bring your needle down and back up; it should bring a small loop from the bobbin to the top of the quilt....push both back under the foot and begin quilting....when done quilting tie the two threads into a single knot, thread a needle and bury the knot between the top and batting layers....secures your quilting lines so they don't unravel....at the end of a line of stitching if you tug on the top thread it will pull up a tiny loop and you grab that loop and again tie a knot and bury in the two layers of the quilt...I don't use the auto cut when I am quilting...I lift the needle and move several inches over and then drop the foot and then cut so I have several inches of thread to work with so I can tie off the threads and bury them! Hope this helps....I learned most of this from YouTube!
                This is awesome but if I did this I would NEVER get these table runners and placemats done! I'm using small stitches so Im going to have to hope they wear out before they fall apart! LOL! I would def. use this method on a blanket tho. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I alway do a backstich or two on all seams, why, because I guess that's how I was taught to do it and old habits die hard
                  If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I start piercing seams with a -0- for 1 or 2 stitches, then for my pfaff I go back to 2. I normally sew clothes so was also taught to always back stitch, but someone pointed out you don't have to in quilting because another seam goes over all the stitching so no worries.

When I quilt, the easiest for me is to take one stitch, lift the walking foot and then I pull holding the top trailing thread, but I move the quilt to the right a few inches. Then I grab my tweezers and when I pull on the top thread and the stitched thread, I can find the bottom thread "Loop" easy, nab it with the tweezers, hold them both, put my walking foot back down and still see where I came up at.
                    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Comment

[QUOTE=Linda71;208170]To help with the birdnest thing, trying pulling the top and bottom thread to the back and holding it down when you start to stitch a row. Some machines need a little help.[/QUOTE

I have had several Pfaff's and that's what I have to do when I begin a seam.

At the end of a line of quilting I leave a few inches of thread on top and bottom, knot the threads and bury them. I keep a big eye needle just for this. I know it's time consuming but I don't always like how backstitching looks. May in Jersey
                      Last edited by MayinJerset; December 17th, 2012, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyI View Post
                        I have one table runner and five placemats left to quilt today. I have already done nine already and one tanle runner but now I'm worried. None of the tutorials i have watched show anyone backstitching at the end of their "rows". Is this going to cause issues when they are washed?

Also, I keep getting this birdsnest of thread at the beginning of my stitch rows! It's maddening! I have a scissor thingy on my machine that automatically cuts the thread....if that tells you anything.
                        I always like to use a small piece if fabric in my machine with the needle down. That piece goes through before your main fabric pieces. Does thar make sense at all? I very seldom use my built in scissors. I just feel a sewing machine is happier when it always has fabric in it. http://theqec.org/148/machine-likes-...e-tips-prevent
                        sigpicMISA
                        I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sew Perfect View Post
                          I always like to use a small piece if fabric in my machine with the needle down. That piece goes through before your main fabric pieces. Does that make sense at all?
                          That does make sense yes. However, turns out that it may not just be me...I posted in my "Grease" thread...there is an issue with the Janome 3160 QDC and the plate that's supposed to hold the bobbin so this could have been a contributing factor also.

Comment

Oh no! I just read this thread and I didn't do much backstitching and I didn't know the trick to pull the top and bottom thread and tie them off and bury them. I finally finished my first full quilt last night and was giving it to the recipient tomorrow night; baby is coming Thursday. I'm so worried it's not going to last very long now.
                            Donelle

Comment

A-ha.... Glad I read this thread. Good tips ladies, thanks for the info!
                              Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Working...
                              X