X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help choosing a border

Hi all
    I have here a very busy Katies Quilt ..
    I have put a 2 inch red border round and want to add another border to make it look framed but i am stuck for ideas .. I scared to put a pattern fabric because the main part is so busy but cannot decide on what colour to make the last border , which will probably be approx 6inch ..
    Any ideas will be gratefully received
    Hugggssss Mindy xx
    quilt 1.jpg
    Its always nice to be important
    But its more important to be nice !
    :icon_wave:
    Tell someone you love them each and every day

Re: Need help choosing a border

I really like the dark red (burgundy) that you have in your little triangles but if you are already doing a red border that might not work. Are you opposed to white?

Your quilt is beautiful...so many colors to pick from but I think I agree with you that a patterned one would be too much.
    Tanya

Methinks it is a token of healthy and gentle characteristics, when women of high thoughts and accomplishments love to sew; especially as they are never more at home with their own hearts than while so occupied. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Marble Faun, 1859

Comment

black or grey
      :icon_wave::icon_woohoo:Kellie:icon_hi:

Comment

What about a dark red subtle pattern like a Moda Marbles or a Jinny Beyer coordinate? You wouldn't really be introducing another color, but a deeper shade of the same color. I like red so it would work for me. Don't know if it would work for you.

Comment

I'd use the same fabric you used on the points of the stars. It looks great by the way!!!
          When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

How about a yellow or gold to draw those out? Black or white are always good too....It's beautiful! Great job!

Comment

I thought about putting a large white border on it after the small red border and then maybe bind it in red ? Then i can quilt a daisy like design into the large white border .. But i also like the suggestion of a grey border also .. Oh decisions decisions ..
              Mindy
              xx
              Its always nice to be important
              But its more important to be nice !
              :icon_wave:
              Tell someone you love them each and every day

Comment

I would use the same color as the main background fabric as my outside border and then bind in your red, like you said.
                K is for Karen 😊​..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

I'm kind of a borderless person, I think I'd make sure the backing and batting was out far enough so not to cut your side blocks off and maybe cut your binding a bit wider, in one of the darker red or maroon colors in your quilt. Nice job on the quilt! Let it shine!

Comment

I would you the white that looks like the main body of the quilt and then bind it with the red. Looks beautiful!

Fannie

Live each day as if it were your last!

Comment

First thing I thought when I saw the pic, was the gold color. Would really make it pop, then bind in the same red as the other border.
                      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                      sigpic

Comment

Do you really need another border? A grey next to red is rather the same tone but black might work if you really want one. As you have a red one already (what shade?) it might be too much.

I'm not a huge fan of multiple borders especially when the central design is so stunning so I'd just bind it in a dark burgundy.
                        Jane

http://jtct-jane.blogspot.com.au

Comment

Pretty quilt!!

Personally I would've done a skinny border the same colour as the background (white?) before the red border to lessen the busy effect. Then your final wider border could've been anything, light, dark or busy.

It's gonna be gawjus!!!

Cheers, Pami

Comment

I also like the dark red color for the border. I think it will really set the whole quilt. I can't wait to see it when it's completely finished! So pretty!!!
                            sigpicMISA
                            I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html

Comment

Beautiful! I agree with white. I'm new to this but all the framing of quilts I see seems like too much. I feel guilty if I don't do it. So I agree with Jane.
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X