Lone Quilter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lone Quilter

So I was looking at the Daily Deal a few days ago... It was a beautiful Jelly roll! So I went to Youtube and was looking at all of Jenny's suggestions for Jelly roll quilts. (I never bought the jelly roll by the way :/ ) I had seen the Jellyroll Racing one a few times, but watched it anyways because it's one of my favorites. And I thought about how fun would it be do to that side by side with a friend! Problem. I don't have any quilting friends. Little alone any sewing friends at all. I have often thought about making flyers that read 'Friend wanted!' to post around my apartment complex, but I also felt that was a little sad. I almost texted my boyfriends mom, because I know she would have loved to, but... I just really wish I had a friend, if that makes sense. Anywhoodles. Taking suggestions on where to find quilting friends
    -Courtney the Great
    :icon_woohoo::icon_woohoo:http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/ima...con_woohoo.gif

Re: Lone Quilter

Welcome to the forum. I know how it is to not have any friends to sew with or even talk to about your projects. I saw under your name that you are in Brentwood, TN.. so I googled quilt guilds in Tennessee. http://www.quiltguilds.com/tennessee.htm Maybe you can find a guild close to you and join it. I don't drive so joining a guild near me is not an option at this time.
    Good luck.
    Donna
    MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Comment

Such a shame that Brittyboo disappeared, she was near there. If you check for a quilt shop close by [maybe one in Franklin] and I bet you could find a sewing buddy, classes or someone like minded. Wish I was closer, Brentwood is so pretty.

Your boyfriend's mother may be looking for a friend, too.

Comment

Thank you so much for the Guild links, and suggestions. I didn't have the resources or the know-how on where to look for other quilters, but I feel a little more confident now On my next day off (Unfortunately, I have a full time job as well), I will definitely take some initiative to look for some friends
        -Courtney the Great

Comment

I know exactly what you mean...I don't even know anyone that sews, so quilting is out of the question. All of the "local" quilt groups meet during the day around here...and since I work that's not an option for me. Oh well - it gives me some quiet time when I'm in my room. I try to join in some of the group activities on this forum and come here when I need advice on sewing/quilting etc.
          Shirley aka buckeyequilter
          I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Donna's idea is great. I have never joined a guild, and not really close to anyone that quilts or sews. However, you have come to the right place here. This forum is full of wonderful people, many of whom I consider friends. Actually got to meet one of them recently. Hang out here in your spare time, and I am sure you will soon come to see you have friends here
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

Hopefully you find some quilting friends. I have a few and they are a great source of help...each brings their own knowledge and together they have helped me.
              Tanya

Methinks it is a token of healthy and gentle characteristics, when women of high thoughts and accomplishments love to sew; especially as they are never more at home with their own hearts than while so occupied. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Marble Faun, 1859

Comment

Quilt shop, take a class even if you feel you don't need it. You might find a kindred spirit!
                Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyGoose89 View Post
                  So I was looking at the Daily Deal a few days ago... It was a beautiful Jelly roll! So I went to Youtube and was looking at all of Jenny's suggestions for Jelly roll quilts. (I never bought the jelly roll by the way :/ ) I had seen the Jellyroll Racing one a few times, but watched it anyways because it's one of my favorites. And I thought about how fun would it be do to that side by side with a friend! Problem. I don't have any quilting friends. Little alone any sewing friends at all. I have often thought about making flyers that read 'Friend wanted!' to post around my apartment complex, but I also felt that was a little sad. I almost texted my boyfriends mom, because I know she would have loved to, but... I just really wish I had a friend, if that makes sense. Anywhoodles. Taking suggestions on where to find quilting friends
                  You just made about half a million friends when you joined this forum. If any of us lived close we'd be over at your place sewing just about every day. So, I suggest you move to Missouri!

Oh, WELCOME to the forum!

Will you be my friend?
                  Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                  it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Aww... many years ago my uncle lived in Brentwood - it was such a pretty place! I would check out the local quilt shops - or other stores like JoAnn. Take a class to meet someone with like interests. Good Luck - and remember you have lots of friends here!

ETA - or do like I did - I convinced my friend who wanted nothing to do with quilting that she really did want to quilt. All it took was showing her Jenny's tutorials -starting with the Jelly Roll Race.
                    Last edited by dwil23; November 20, 2012, 02:39 AM.
                    Donna

Comment

gosh, i know what you mean...

until my marriage broke up nearly 6yrs ago i was a very active member of a large quilt guild, i was teaching there, in various groups, quilting with others was nearly a daily thing, a huge part of my life and i loved it...then i had to move away...

i moved to a small country town where only old ladies quilted which is fine, but they were very clicky and didnt welcome a newcomer with modern ideas...infact they were very rude...then i had to return to work and didnt have time to quilt much for a while...

i finally got back on my feet and back into a city, tried to join a few groups but they were so different, once again not very welcoming and obsessed with art quilting, not my thing...so i gave up and just did alot of charity stuff on my own, designed my own stuff and continued to teach privately and do commission samples for shops...

ive recently remarried and moved again, to a bigger city which ironically has a near non existent quilting community...there is only one quilt shop which is on the verge of closing, its very frustrating...i now work from home as a freelance designer/teacher and would love to have someone to sew with...

i have many designer friends, but life gets in the way and we rarely catch up these days...we seem to know more about each other reading each others facebook posts these days...its not always a good thing that society has become so fast paced...

good luck with finding a quilting buddy in your area, quilting is a much bigger thing in the states and I love the ladies ideas...at the very least, like me, you've joined a wonderful online community!!.. let us know'

Cheers, Pami in australia
                      Last edited by pamipatch; November 20, 2012, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Welcome from Massachusetts! As long as you are here, you are never alone. I know it's not the same as having someone sitting right beside you but there are so many wonderful people here that are always willing to talk and help when you need it.
                        Visit often, post pics, laugh with us, cry with us, share with us and I promise you will not feel like a "lone quilter" for very long.
                        Cil
                        A quilt is a blanket of love
                        http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
                        http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

All my sewing friends moved away and I felt lost. My daughter told me there was a group at her church that was quilting charity quilts. She introduced me to one lady and I was invited to the Monday night meeting. Gradually I made some new friends and even though the group has been discontinued, we still share ideas or get together now and then. You don't think of church as a place to find sewing friends. For me it has been a blessing.

Comment

I also don't know of many quilters in my area to share with. I do have a sister and a niece who quilt and I can ask their opinion or show them my progress. It surprises me that in a Southern rural area that there aren't too many quilters here. I travel to Montgomery AL to the quilt shop and take classes there for inspiration and company. Have taken several classes there sometimes just for the company and new ideas.
                            My best friend hates anything to do with sewing or a fabric store. She won't even go inside one, she waits in the car!
                            Good luck with your friend search.
                            Brenda in Bama

Comment

Wow! I almost cried reading all of these posts! I'm going to start my picture album today of some of the things I have done , so you guys can see! You guys are so welcoming! Thank you for everything! Even if I don't make friends 'in real life' at least I have some here Thanks for giving me the tools I needed to look too! I'm also glad there are other people who can relate, it's comforting
                              -Courtney the Great

Comment

Working...
                              X