HUGE FREE find! Can I get ideas on using it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HUGE FREE find! Can I get ideas on using it

So I was on Craigslist free section today and a tailor was giving away fabric samples. They are in books the smallest being 4x6 to 7 x 9..fine cotton and wool/cashmere combo. But not just regular fabric...it's all Valentino, Cronus, Egyptian Giza, Thomas mason,, holland and sherry etc.. All made in Italy, England and spain. this is The fabric $5000 suits are made from. There must be well over 3000 sample fabrics all coordinating :-)

Im a new quilter so My question:
    1. are these big enough for quilting?
    2. WORST PART- at least half or more have stickers some come off fine BUT the Egyptian Giza and others leave a sticky residue. How can I remove this?
    3. I'm thinking of piecing together 8" or 10" blocks any other beginner ideas?

Thanks so much for your help

Kandace

Re: HUGE FREE find! Can I get ideas on using it

Certainly a great find. I don't have the answers but I am sure someone will be along with advice. Good luck. Show pics when you get it done. And welcome from Canada.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Thank you so much. I'm going to post a pic of the fabrics, they are beautiful. That way maybe someone can give me some easy (lol) design ideas. I'm just frustrated with some of the sticky ones maybe I can just cut those smaller or in strips idk. Maybe after I post the pic you all will have a better idea of size and stuff.

Thank you for the warm welcome. This is such a nice group to be part of

Comment

Hello, lucky you! I'm sure there's a post somewhere here about removing sticky residue and if I remember rightly someone suggested acetone but I'm not 100% certain so would suggest you check first. Good luck.

Comment

Lucky! I am sure if we had pictures of the fabric we would be better able to "see" a design in them. I would be careful of what you use on the sticky area. Acetone may remove the color also. Acetone is what is in fingernail polish remover. Maybe Goo-Gone. I will do a little research and let you know what I find.

Okay, I did a bit of research and beside the Goo-Gone these sites have other remedies including Peanut Butter (which I used to get bubble gum out of my daughter's hair when she was little.)''

Good Luck

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-t...icker-residue/
          http://www.essortment.com/household-...goo-46333.html
          Last edited by CrazyMtnLady; November 16, 2012, 07:14 AM.
          Donna
          MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Comment

Here is a couple of suggestions. I'm inclined to try the vinagar. Yesterday I unclogged my bathtub with salt and baking powder. Who knew. Pick your least favorites and try some of these out.

Cant' wait to see them!

http://laundry.about.com/od/stainrem...kerresidue.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_4854750_remo...s-clothes.html
            "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Thank you all so much for your tips. Here are some pics of the samples. Now remember every book is full and the box is overflowing with books but here's some idea of a few of the fabrics I got.this is my first time trying to post pics I hope they come out let me know what you all think.
              image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
              Last edited by Kandycane; November 16, 2012, 12:08 PM. Reason: Added pictures

Comment

They look pretty but most people use 100% cotton for quilting. I would not know how to wash the quilt - dryclean maybe?
                ~Kathy~

Comment

Most of it is 100% cotton a small % is silk-1 book and flannel 2-books and a few cotton/cashmere blends. But I'm only using the cotton for the quilts. There are over 50 books so this what was on top to give an idea of that the designs were. Any suggestions on a cute beginner quilt?
                  The bummer is that I have probably 10+ books of 100% Egyptian cotton that the sticker residue won't come out of. But I'm just going to remove as I use and if it won't come out. If I cut them they are 4 1/4 x 3 3/4 roughly some a bit larger. Would these be good triangles for a pattern? I want to use these in conjunction with fat quarters that DH bought me a few days ago. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Yes, if I make a quilt from the other fabrics it will be an art quilt so I don't ruin the fabric by washing it...lol that would be my luck.

Comment

I have 3 books of upholstery samples. They are 12 x 12 so I usually make purses and bags out of them. I also have 2 that have 9 x 6 pieces and I was planning on making wallets with those or even a tapestry of them for an odd space in my upstairs hallway.

I normally soak them briefly in a mix of Dreft stain spray for about 5 minutes and then the sticker and most if not all of they sticky comes off with it. I use almost room temperature water. I figured since the fabric was free if I ruin it than so be it.
                      Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

O my gosh thank you I will try this. I also have some 9x6 pieces of fine suit fabric and flannel and some fine silk to. I was thinking purses with the flannel not sure and coin purses for the silk.

Do you have any design or pattern ideas you could share with me foe the wallet or anything else you think I could do with them

Thanks so much I will let you know how it worked out.

Comment

Working...
                        X