Machine quilting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine quilting

Hello! I'm on Day One of machine quilting a Queen sized quilt. Oh my goodness, what a wrestling match. Very challenging - I can see why people send them to others for quilting!

Any tips or suggestions to managing a big quilt on a regular (Brother) home sewing machine?

Deb
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Re: Machine quilting

Are you using machiner gloves? They help to grip the fabric.
    HUGE quilts are a nuisance no matter how you do them on your home machine. Ask me, I know. I just try to concentrate on one area at a time cause that's all you really can do anyway. I haven't tried any other kind of design except the stippling and not to concerned with crossing over a line here and there and doing a loopy-lou once in awhile. In the end, noone would notice those little extras anyway. That seems to be the only kind of design I can manage on a huge quilt.

Hugs,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I roll mine up so and clamp it so that I can concentrate on the area I'm working on rather than wrestling with the rest of the quilt. I also frame it out with my hands

< >

So that the area I'm working in is nice and taut and I only sew within that frame.
      Michele

Comment

It's 11 days later and I've made great progress, working now on outer corners, which are easy compared to the middle.

Got great advice from you re: gloves, quilting trish. I didn't have time to find any but I did wash a pair of my gardening gloves in nice hot water and bleach, then tried them. What a difference! The gloves have the little rubberized pattern that makes gripping the fabric 100% easier. Thanks!

Other good tip I learned - lower your ironing board to the level of your sewing machine, and butt the ironing board against your machine's bed. This extension of your surface at that height will make it much easier to manage the rest of the quilt without the weight dragging on the area you're tring to quilt.

Anyway, I've got 75% of the monster quilted, but I'm counting on people not looking too closely at the stitching :-).
        Last edited by debinmalaga; October 21, 2010, 12:31 PM.
        There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Good for you Deb! I do the same thing with my ironing board to take some of the weight of the quilt. Sometimes I just set the sewing machine up on my dining room table to spread the quilt out some. Can't wait to see a picture of your quilt all quilted!
          Patti
          Patti
          "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Working...
          X