How do you wash precuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you wash precuts

I am just trying out the precut Charm packs, Layer cakes and the various Rolls. How do you prewash these? Surely you don't throw a hundred 5 inch squares to tumble around individually?

Thanks for any input!

Karlee
    www.journialong.com
    Karlee, San Antonio, Texas
    www.journialong.com

Re: How do you wash precuts

Wether we are avid "pre-washers" or "never-washers", we have all come to the general agreement that you DO NOT pre-wash the pre-cuts. There is no way to do it successfully in a washing machine. As some of the threads in here can attest, you wind up with a tangled heap of fabrics or worse.
    I imagine that you could try to hand wash them if you felt so inclined. The ladies have suggested that you buy "color catchers" to throw in the wash with the finished quilt if you are afraid that the darker colors may bleed. I haven't actually made anything with my little collection of pre-cuts since I have a stack of other projects to do before I get to something just for me, so I can't say how they look after they have been completed and washed first hand. I bet some of the other ladies can let you know.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
      Wether we are avid "pre-washers" or "never-washers", we have all come to the general agreement that you DO NOT pre-wash the pre-cuts. There is no way to do it successfully in a washing machine. As some of the threads in here can attest, you wind up with a tangled heap of fabrics or worse.
      I imagine that you could try to hand wash them if you felt so inclined. The ladies have suggested that you buy "color catchers" to throw in the wash with the finished quilt if you are afraid that the darker colors may bleed. I haven't actually made anything with my little collection of pre-cuts since I have a stack of other projects to do before I get to something just for me, so I can't say how they look after they have been completed and washed first hand. I bet some of the other ladies can let you know.

Thank you for the great response. I was afraid of that. I guess as long as I don't mix companies and lines I will be ok. I definately agree about the color catchers. Basically we will end up " blocking our projects", like we do in knitting.

Thanks again. It really looks like I am going to have to come up with a way to make money for the "Go" cutter purchase. See you in 10 to 20, LOL!

Karlee
      www.journialong.com
      www.journialong.com

Comment

The Go cutter is expensive, the cutting dies are expensive and you will lose fabric in waste.
        Also it cuts everything on the bias which can cause trouble when piecing B/C the pieces stretch. Save your money. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
        Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Oh yeah, It also can give you shoulder problems as it is not electric. You have to hand turn it. Check it out before you buy.
          Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Karlee,
            I don't think precuts were meant to be washed before stitching them together, but if you must, i once read of gently washing them in a salad spinner. good luck !

Comment

My vote is not to prewash them.
              Shelia

Comment

Quilters have been getting along just fine with scissors and now the wonder that is the rotary cutter.
                If you need more stability for cutting out applique shapes by hand, you can always use freezer paper ironed to the back of your fabrics. Then you just peel them off before sewing.
                Check out some of the other, older threads about pre-washing for more hints and tips about mixing lines and fabrics that haven't been washed. Some folks don't wash any of their fabrics, and their quilts seem to turn out fine. I know they mix fabrics from different lines and manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
                  Quilters have been getting along just fine with scissors and now the wonder that is the rotary cutter.
                  If you need more stability for cutting out applique shapes by hand, you can always use freezer paper ironed to the back of your fabrics. Then you just peel them off before sewing.
                  Check out some of the other, older threads about pre-washing for more hints and tips about mixing lines and fabrics that haven't been washed. Some folks don't wash any of their fabrics, and their quilts seem to turn out fine. I know they mix fabrics from different lines and manufacturers.
                  Thanks so much for taking the time to apply. You mentioned various other threads-I'm sorry if i ask duplicity questions. It's a big place in here and sometimes I just miss it
                  www.journialong.com

Comment

Originally posted by Karlee View Post
                    Thanks so much for taking the time to apply. You mentioned various other threads-I'm sorry if i ask duplicity questions. It's a big place in here and sometimes I just miss it
                    No worries!! This place is big and for new people it's hard to find everything.

I always advise to NEVER wash precuts. If you are worried about bleeding use a color catcher in the wash...but I've never had problems with precuts bleeding...only yardage.

oh...and Welcome!!
                    Michele

Comment

I was worried about not prewashing my precuts too. I didn't prewash the backing or binding and everything turned out fine

Comment

Karlee,
                        I didn't mean to imply that we were impatient with your questions! Please ASK AWAY! I just wanted to let you know that there are older threads that may have some more information. There are lots of new members who will benefit from all of our questions.
                        To get to the older threads you may have to scroll way down the list under the different categories. There are lots of good things buried in there! Have fun poking through. I know I do!

Comment

Earlier this summer I did a quilt for Quilts For Kids. Some of the fabric was pre-cut by the organization and it contained darks and light colors. None of the fabrics were pre-washed, and I washed the quilt after completion and didn't have any bleeding of colors, but I did put a color catcher sheet in the washer with it. My plan now is to not wash fabrics that are planned for a quilt. I thought the unwashed fabric was easier to cut and stitch with, and I didn't have to spend all of that time pressing it after washing! Huge time (and starch) saver.
                          Lola
                          :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Working...
                          X