basic quilting tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

basic quilting tools

Quilters I have watched so many tuts here today I have lost count. I did not see any videos mention what the getting started tools are for quilting. One video called introduction said it would be in another video. I never saw her talk about the needed tools in any other video I watched. I still have my cutting boards one is a 16Hx 23L and another is 23H X 35L. What else do I need for getting started? I had a rotary cutter but can't remember the size or what I did with it.. I guess that comes with age. I see something out now called the Accuquilt go, and the "Baby" I was considering, hmm.. I don't remember what else was needed. I also have some of my Olipfa and Fiskars rulers but don't recall the sizes without looking at them. That's all that I have, Any help please. I'm not watching a video right now but I watched so many I can still hear the intro music to the video's in my head. Lol, it's cute. Thanks Quilters

Re: basic quilting tools

Hi Sewsoft

The cutting mats you have are good sizes. I did buy one of the rotating ones that is 11 or 12 inch square. Not necessary but nice for cutting "dog ears" of of half square triangles and such. I only have the 45mm rotary cutter. I have both Fisker and Olfa. I like the Fisker better- it has an ergonomic handle and I seem to cut better with it. When I use the Olfa one it feels like I'm making gouges in my cutting board, but that may just be me.

As for rulers I have a 3x18 that is an Omnigrid and a 6 1/2 x 18 1/2 that is Creative Grids- I absolutely love the CG ruler. It is non skid and has markings from 1/4 inch through 1 inch. It is printed both ways on the ruler and has black and white lines on it that make it (for me) easier to read. I think you just need to figure out which ones will help you with cutting fabric. There are bigger rulers than I have and ones that are shorter. I like the size I have because I use my kitchen counter to cut my fabric out on and the rulers I have are not too long and get in the way of my cutting.

The Go cutter is a little pricey for me-though I have entered a contest to win one. With the precuts and all the rulers that are made these days to making cutting easier I probably won't ever buy one.

I hope this helps you! Of course you need fabric and thread - but I'm sure you have that figured out .
    Shelia

Comment

If you hand quilt you need a plastic hoop. 14" is good. You need common pins, a sewing machine, you need patterns, I don't know what else to tell you. Shelia gave it all. The rest is watching tutorials, taking classes, and talking to other quilters. Looking online and reading quilting blogs. As for the Go, there are problems. They are hard on your shoulders, they cut on the bias which can cause problems in piecing cause it can stretch out of shape. And it wastes materials. You end up with lots of pieces that can't be used again. So there are drawbacks. You need to learn how to cut fabric so you get the most out of it. It saves money so there is no waste. The rest is up to what you want to learn and do. Hope this helps. Hugs, Jan
      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Another thing about the go the dies you cut with are expensive, And you have to buy one for each shape you want for your quilts. It can get really expensive. I guess if you applique it might be worth buying one but other wise it's costly.
        Another thing you need is a seam ripper. A lot of us new quilters are married to ours. LOL Jan
        Last edited by janluna; October 8, 2010, 10:39 PM.

Comment

How could I forget the most important tool -the seam ripper!

I agree with you Jan on the cost of the Go Cutter. I though they were electric until I looked at one! You would think for that price they would be. Don't want anyone mad at me - it's just too expensive for me.
          Shelia

Comment

Originally posted by Texsam View Post
            How could I forget the most important tool -the seam ripper!

I agree with you Jan on the cost of the Go Cutter. I though they were electric until I looked at one! You would think for that price they would be. Don't want anyone mad at me - it's just too expensive for me.
            I am fairly sure that is the reason they give away so many for free...the dies are ridiculously expensive! I really took the time to look through them yesterday; I can't buy fabric, how could I buy dies? I have quit trying to win one.

Sewsoft...all my personal recommendations, with photos, are listed at that link I PM'd you yesterday. It can be confusing when you get started!

Comment

A pair of little snippy sharp scissors are always handy for cutting stray threads. On the videos you often see Jenny wearing hers on a lanyard around her neck so they're always to hand - good idea I'm always losing mine!
              Quilting through the dull times
              northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrchapman View Post
                A pair of little snippy sharp scissors are always handy for cutting stray threads. On the videos you often see Jenny wearing hers on a lanyard around her neck so they're always to hand - good idea I'm always losing mine!
                I have seen those around her neck. I have some little scissors - but I'm afraid I'd stab myself if they were around my neck. I usually keep them by the machine but when the kitten gets past my defenses that is one of the things he goes for. Those and the feet for the machine.. If it's shiny, he has to play with it!
                Shelia

Comment

Originally posted by Texsam View Post
                  I usually keep them by the machine but when the kitten gets past my defenses that is one of the things he goes for. Those and the feet for the machine.. If it's shiny, he has to play with it!
                  Sounds like your kitten may have been a magpie in a previous life. Not sure if you gals have magpies but they are birds that like shiny things and will often steal shiny bits to take to their nests. I was a magpie in a previous life...I like shiny things...jewelery, sequined, beaded and shimmery fabrics, crystals etc
                  Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                    Sounds like your kitten may have been a magpie in a previous life. Not sure if you gals have magpies but they are birds that like shiny things and will often steal shiny bits to take to their nests. I was a magpie in a previous life...I like shiny things...jewelery, sequined, beaded and shimmery fabrics, crystals etc
                    I think we were all magpies in another life to a certain extant. We all like showy fabrics and some of us love jewelery and all the other things above. And we like new gadgets for our machines and for quilting. If not Magpies, Crows. Or are they they same bird? LOL

Comment

I have a longer ruler 5" x 24". This is handy for cutting strips the width of the fabric. I do a lot of strip cutting with the method I use for cutting my pieces. It is also handy for wider fabrics like denim and fleece. I can see beyond the edge of the fabric to make sure I am lined up with the grid on the other side.
                      The seam ripper is a must. I also have a magnet pin holder.
                      The Accuquilt thingies sound like fun, but I would be mad at the fabric waste. I am cheap and I want to get as much from that piece of fabric as I can. I am not sure I'll do the crumb quilting thing, but I may offer up my bag of small scraps to somebody who does. I am looking forward to playing with the selvedge pieces I have been collecting.
                      Be who you are and say what you feel
                      because those who mind don't matter,
                      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Don't waste your money on the Accu Quilt. They look all fine and cool but like lots have said they waste fabric, the dies are expensive and they really are restrictive. By the time you get it all set up and feed the fabric through you can have them strip cut with your rotary cutter. Then you have to find someplace to put the darn thing. And really how many quilts are you going to make with a flower die? I know I don't like to make the same pattern twice. It seems like a good idea, but it's just another gimmick. The cricut on the other hand is invaluable for scrapbooking. Spend your money on things you will use for a long time. Like rotary cutter, good pins, quarter inch foot, nice sharp scissors, various ruler sizes. I went to my local sewing/ quilt store and made a list of all the things I would like and put it on a Christmas wish list. Then when my kids asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I gave them the list.
                        Have fun. You're going to love quilting. It's rewarding!

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot about the 1/4" foot. That is worth it's weight in Gold! I love mine. I wish they made a 5/8" foot. and any other that would help me keep my seams so right. If you can't get a foot use a piece of painters tape and measure a 1/4" from your needle and put the tape down. I like the foot the best though. It works every time.

Comment

Working...
                          X