matching colors for a quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

matching colors for a quilt

I'm just starting back quilting. I was just looking at a tut on a desert roll and quilt squares. Wow, These look amazing ! Can any of you tell me how you like any of the rolls/ squares ? Or is it a better buy for your money to purchase regular quilters fabrics? Thank you quilters.

Re: matching colors for a quilt

I've found the jelly rolls very useful because you can cut them up in so many different ways but if you're on a budget I find it's better to buy fabric by the yard on sale. You usually get better discounts than on the pre-cuts.

The best thing about the pre-cuts is that you know they're all going to go together because they're all from the same range. So if you're unsure about matching fabrics they're a good place to start
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

I love all the pre-cuts. They cut down on the cutting fabric backache. lol
      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

They also make for a quick put together quilt if you have a short time frame because they do away with most of the cutting which is always time consuming.
        Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I just finished the top of a throw with a layer cake and jelly roll. It was super easy , fast, and came out wonderful!!! Suprised even me. I think as soon as I find a hoop I'm going to try,remember I said try, to quilt it myself. Cross your fingers for me......Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of hoop I need????? Thanks for all the inspiration ladies and good thoughts to all of you. Lana

Comment

Originally posted by Lana Monteith View Post
            I just finished the top of a throw with a layer cake and jelly roll. It was super easy , fast, and came out wonderful!!! Suprised even me. I think as soon as I find a hoop I'm going to try,remember I said try, to quilt it myself. Cross your fingers for me......Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of hoop I need????? Thanks for all the inspiration ladies and good thoughts to all of you. Lana
            Lana - I just use a big round quilt hoop that I bought at Joanne's and spin like a steering wheel as I sit on the couch and quilt. Hope this helps!
            Patti
            "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Hi Lana, I am in the process of learning how to hand quilt. The instructor is an international quilt winner. Her Name is Cheryl Cooley. Watch that name because she is shortly to have a book published. At any rate, She taught us to get the 14 inch plastic hoop. Not pvc, not wooden, plastic. She was adamant about this. After she showed us how to properly put your fabric,batting and whole cloth in the hoop we understood why. It takes a lot of work to put it into the hoop! The plastic hoop has a groove in the outside ring and a ridge in the inside hoop. The ridge goes into the groove when it is put together right. It holds your fabric really tight and won't let it slip. Her style of quilting has to have the fabric as tight as a drum. But boy does it work. She is an amazing teacher. I wish I could explain all she taught us but without seeing it, it wouldn't make much sense to you. You can get the hoop at a Joann's fabrics store.
              If ever she is in your area to teach, take her classes. We are going back for the second part in 2 weeks and we have all decided when she teaches her next class on applique, we are taking it. Right now we're just doing quilting though.

Comment

I have purchased a few charms, jelly rolls at Joanne's with their coupons or on sale and some from here at MSQC. I love that they are coordinated but know that my best buy is yardage on sale. Still, it does work up quickly since they are precut and very precise.

Jan! I envy you a hand quilting class. My stitches on Daddy's log cabin are clumsy at best. The warm and natural I am using this time seems to be rather tough. Next one i hand quilt will be with a low loft. I watched a video with a master quilter somewhere who recommends a low loft. What does your instructor recommend? Would appreciate any suggestions and tricks you learn. And yes, when I use a hoop, it is a medium plastic - it doesn't slip like the bamboo/wood.

Hugs
                Sewing mends the soul.
                sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

She says except for tarnputo use low loft. Especially for wall hangings and little things. Maybe a medium for quilts. The thing that amazed us was how much work it is to put your fabric into the hoop. I mean to tell you, you work at it. This form of quilting is not rocking the needle and not the stab method. It's her own invention. It's really good if you have arthritis because it's easier for that problem and carpal tunnel syndrome. When you do quilt you keep the needle at a 90 degree angle to your work. I have a problem with that as I have semi long nails. They are active short but longer than nothing. It makes a difference and since I'm not going to lose them any time soon I have to figure out how to make this work for me. But my friend Dawn( who lurks here once in a while lol) the lady said she was a natural. She was amazed at how good Dawn did for a first time out. Dawn quilted when she was a kid for 4H but not like this. So she was a rock star for a day. I was proud of her. Cheryl is writing a book with these instructions and in it. I said I wish she should do a video. It would really help to see it. I know it helped me. I don't think I would pick it up with just the written word and pictures.
                  I'm not the brightest crayon in the box. It takes me a while to learn. Once I got it, I got it. But I need the visual. Cheryl only uses YLI thread for hand work.
                  She is a gold mine of knowledge. She has been doing this for a while. However, she does say that if you do 10 to 15 minutes of this technique everyday you will be a very good hand quilter in 2 weeks time. She guarantees it!!! So, I asked her if I could have a month instead and she said NO!! LOL She is so soft spoken and very quiet but a strong person. I was really impressed with her. She instills confidence even in me. What else can I tell you, i don't know without showing it. I don't get the rest of the class until the 21st of October. Sorry, I probably wasn't much of a help. But as I learn I'll keep trying. However if she is writing a book and I'm writing this to you I could get sued. I just thought of that. Jan

Comment

Working...
                  X