I need help please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help please!!!

Hello everyone!!! I am very frustrated right now with my sewing machine..... I started to FMQ my DP quilt and I broke 3 needles in a matter of minuets ... So now I have the chore of pulling out several inches of stitches.. I don't know what's the matter I threaded and re threaded my machine changed the bobbin made sure my needle is in properly placed along with my quilting foot... I don't know what else I should look for??? At first I thought my needles was hitting the plate and breaking them but that was not the case them I thought my quilt was too thick but I use the same batting in all of my FMQing... Is there an expert that can plead tell me what I am missing??? Ahhhh this happened last night and I don't want to go back and sit down until I have a plan in place : ) Don't u hate when things don't work out the way u want them too!!! Thank you all for you time

Re: I need help please!!!

I broke three needles in a row the other day before it hit me that I was pulling because I didn't think the feed dogs were moving the material through fast enough. Sometimes we don't even realize we are making movements that will deflect the needle and cause them to hit something and break. It is really bad when you have a clear plastic foot on and the needle goes clear through the foot, ruining it - there goes another $30+ for a replacement (second time for me).
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I've never FMQuilted before, but aren't you supposed to put your feed dogs down? I could be wrong, which is why I'm asking.
      My name is CJ
      My Creations: Photo Albums

My Wishful Wants List (ha ha)

Boobs and pins do NOT mix! Trust me, I know from experience. ;)

Love: Sewing and reading.
      Sewing Machine: Janome New Home Model 108
      Pinterest: My Boards
      Pets:Have 1 dog, named Jake which is a Yellow Lab. :)

Comment

You are supposed to put your feed dogs down. Im thinking you may be moving the fabric to fast. Are you using a free motion foot?
        Patrice

Comment

Also make sure the quilt is supported. The weight could be pulling enough to bend the needle so it hits the foot or plate and breaks.
          i had one quilt that i broke 5 or 6 needles trying to FMQ. It was not the first quilt i had done or the biggest. I'm still not totally sure what was going on.
          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Thank you for your replies...I don’t drop my feed dogs on my machine for me it causes tension problems I use a queen supreme slider and it works fine for me. --Sandy, that is exactly what I was doing to cause the needle breakage. You learn something new every day huh!!

Comment

Yes, I was so frustrated it didnt even dawn on me thats what was going on. Thank you

Comment

Working...
              X