backing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backing

Has anyone on here used polar fleece type fabric for the backing on a regular quilt? I was told by a woman who uses a Tin Lizzie that it works really well. I purchased some fleece today for the backing on a quilt that my niece and I will quilt on her Gammill. Supposedly you don't need batting either. Any thoughts or information on this?

Re: backing

I've never used it for backing but I've wondered if it would work as batting. It would make the quilt warm. One of the more experienced quilters will have to tell us.
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

The only reason I could see that it might not work would be stretch. Polar fleece is pretty stretchy along one of the grains. I don't have a long-arm (oh, but I wish I did) so I can't address that point. I'd probably run a test quilt sandwich to see if they play nice together.
      I have used the cuddle fleece and the stuff that looks like long-ish silky fibers as backings for flannel quilts. The kids adore them to snuggle on the couch with. OK, so do I. The silky will eventually start to mat down a tiny bit after about 100 drag-along miles, and 10 washings or so. I imagine that the fleece will also start to pill.

I have used (pre-washed) flannel as batting and I like that. I imagine that fleece as batting would be warm and wouldn't shift around either. My guess is that the big sewing box stores will be having the solid colors on some nice sale prices before too long.

Let us know how it goes. Sometimes trial & error are the best methods.
      Be who you are and say what you feel
      because those who mind don't matter,
      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I have used fleece as batting, but haven't tried it as backing. i like the quilts that I cuddle under to feel heavy. Even in summer. I am weird.

Comment

i love to feel some weight on my bed to snuggle under too,Hillbilly your not weired at all if so that makes 2 of us lol.
          What a great idea fleece as a batting!hmm got me thinking on my next project now
          Quilting is good therapy.

Comment

Thanks for your input on using the fleece for a backing. The quilt top is very bright, pink, purple, green, orange, blue, red, yellow, I got a black fleece with big dog paw prints on it in all of those colors, it should look great. My niece is will to help me try it, so will go for it! Perhaps I'll have photos when I return with it, now to figure out how to put photos on here, can't even figure out how to put my picture in!!!

Comment

i used fleece for backing a lap quilt for husbands mom - it turned out really nice! all soft and warm and fuzzy
              Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
              hugs, Suzi
              http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
              it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

I have made flannel rag quilts that used flannel for all 3 layers - top, batting and backing and they are toasty warm and soft. Fleece sounds like an ultra cuddly backing too!

Has anyone ever used felt as a batting? One of the quilt sites I visit recommended buying felt off the bolt cut to size for batting. It comes in lots of colors and I think a couple different weights, was curious if anyone has experience with this? It would definitely give more "weight" to the finished product I think.
                Linda
                -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sewbee View Post
                  I have made flannel rag quilts that used flannel for all 3 layers - top, batting and backing and they are toasty warm and soft. Fleece sounds like an ultra cuddly backing too!

Has anyone ever used felt as a batting? One of the quilt sites I visit recommended buying felt off the bolt cut to size for batting. It comes in lots of colors and I think a couple different weights, was curious if anyone has experience with this? It would definitely give more "weight" to the finished product I think.
                  It would be weighty, but thin...perfect!! let us know if you try it!

Comment

I would be afraid that the commercially produced felt wouldn't hold up after it was washed. I hate to have lumpies in my finished quilt. Perhaps if you quilted it super close, but I don't know. Also what is the felt made of? Felting of wool takes a bit of soap, hot water, and a lot of mashing to get the fibers to cling together. I might be a bit suspicious of the stuff on the bolt if it is not very expensive. It may be made with synthetic fibers and a bonding agent (glue).
                    I'd just be cautious since you put so much time and effort into the top, you don't want the batting to be bad.
                    Be who you are and say what you feel
                    because those who mind don't matter,
                    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks ToggPine and Hillbilly. I heard about using felt batting from Leah Day's quilt blog where she recommends felt batting for the weight, thinness and making the quilt lie flat. She mentions it as "polyester felt" so I don't know if that is what is sold in the fabric stores or a special order. She doesn't mention washing it specifically other than to say it lies perfectly flat with no shrinkage. She does say to not go cheap on your batting choices and recommends higher quality materials so the final product can have the best long lasting results. I'm just curious about using the felt since I know she does show quality quilts and don't think she would recommend a poor batting material.

Here is a link to her YouTube video on Batting Choices: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TNAZP7zRns&feature=player_embedded#!

I might give felt a try for a small table runner or wall hanging that I don't plan to wash very often. Probably would not use it for a bed quilt though.

P.S. Sorry Katiedid, I didn't mean to hijack your thread on backings.
                      Linda
                      -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X