machine binding again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

machine binding again.

I have this question, when you do machine binding, how wide would you cut the binding strip?
    Thanks, Virginia

Re: machine binding again.

It varies I think. But Jenny does 2.5 inches folds it in half sew the raw sides on the quilt front and then turn it to the back and stitch it down. See the tutorial on binding a quilt. She does a great job of showing you how. My words probably don't make sense to you. You need to see it done.
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I do the same as Jenny. I cut my strips 2.5" wide then fold in half and press.. Check out the tutorial for how to do a binding..it was a great help when I was first starting out!
      Michele

Comment

The standard is 2.5", but really it depends a lot on the type and size of the quilt you are binding and also on personal choice. If my quilt is a wallhanging and the binding blends (not intended to be really be seen) then I do it narrower, 2" or even 1.75", on a miniture it will be even smaller. If it is a king or queen size bed quilt I like my binding to be wider, in proportion with the quilt so I cut them maybe 3". On large quilts I also leave extra wadding so it folds over when I turn the binding, this gives a padded fullness to the binding, I like this on a bed quilt.
        Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Thanks Lynn. Your binding ideas are great.
          Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Ditto to Lynn's comment! I do the same.
            Patti
            "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Thank you all for the tips, I was in doubt because I like to also finish at the sewing machine, not hand sewing. I still couldn't figure out what would be the best size to have a perfect sewing in both sides.
              Next try I'll post the pic to show how it looks like.
              Thanks Virginia

Comment

Working...
              X