How Do I Fix this Dresden Plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do I Fix this Dresden Plate?

Hi everyone! I was reading up the other day about a technique called "selective cutting" for dresden plates in which you pick a specific repeating pattern in a piece of fabric and then cut out each blade identically so you can get some cool effects in the final Dresden. I decided to try out the process on an old piece of upholstery fabric I had in my stash that had a pretty floral pattern with some features I thought might look nice as a repeat. In order to capture the best pattern I used the full 8 inch length of the EZ Dresden tool. This made a Dresden just over 20 inches in diameter! The pattern actually looks pretty cool but I got the idea to stagger my blade edges between pointed and rounded for a little more interest....and now I think I have created a problem I'm not sure how to fix.

I had 20 blades laid out on the table after making points on half and cutting round tops on the other half. I overlapped them by about 1/4 inch to get an idea of the final appearance and it looks to me like 20 blades is not quite enough to make the full circle. Problem now is I think 22 blades will be too many, and if I use 21 blades that will mess up my staggering pattern of edges! I suppose I could try to stitch the 20 blades together using a 1/8 inch seam and see if that gives me enough extra to make them fit without having to try to fit in an extra blade. I also don't want to mess up my repeating pattern in the fabric either if I can help it.

Any suggestions on the best approach? This is really just a test project, the upholstery fabric is pretty but I doubt it is 100% cotton. It has sort of a velvety texture similar to moleskin on the right side and I am not planning on laundering it before or after since I'm not sure it will hold up to that.

I'm also not sure on the best way to finish off the blades with the rounded tops. Do I just turn them under and press and hope I get a smooth rounded edge or is it best to trim the tops so the corners will meet with the pointed blades properly and then just plan on satin stitching the rounded ones?

SELECTIVE CUT DRESDEN PROJECT CLOSEUP_0007.jpgSELECTIVE CUT DRESDEN PROJECT QUESTION_0006.jpg
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Re: How Do I Fix this Dresden Plate?

To see how they're going to match up you actually need to overlap them by half an inch because you lose a quarter inch off each side. To do it more accurately you can draw a quarter inch seam allowance on the back of each one and then line up the imaginary seams.

Once you do that you might find that your 24 blades fit in.

It's looking lovely at the moment. I really like the effect of the repeated pattern.
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Not sure on the blade problem but that sure is cool looking! It would make a nice pillow! I like the idea of a satin stitch due to what must be somewhat bulky fabric???
      Make sure to post a pic however you finish it cuz I really think it is nice!
      Patti
      Patti
      "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

I love the way it looks. It's really pretty.
        Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Sewbee is this the first of many or the only one? I have not had this problem before but can suggest that maybe your seams are not correct. If it was meant to have 20 blades then maybe your seams are too generous and need to be narrowed. If it was supposed to be 22 then maybe your seams are too narrow, this is the best option as it is more easily fixed. If 22 blades will not fit then go back and sew a few of your seams again, don't unpick them, just resew a slightly wider seam. You probably won't need to sew them all but if not all then evenly space those you do sew around the circle to keep things proportional. This will make the whole circle a little smaller, opening up the gap and allowing the 22nd blade to hopefully be fitted.

I've never had to do this so I'm not sure it will work but is worth considering. If you have more to do then carefully consider your seam allowance, too narrow or too wide will affect the finished circle.

Best of luck with this, I hope you can work it out, it is so pretty.
          Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

WOW you did a great fussy cut on these!! fabulous!!

are you sure they are cut the right size? i know when i made mine the difference between a 5" blade and a 4" or a 5" and a 6" blade is a big difference. otherwise you will have to as Lynn suggested sew the seams another sqant 1/4.........

post the completed plate - i bet it will be beautiful!!
            Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
            hugs, Suzi
            http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
            it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

I wish I had the answer but that is beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished project.
              Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

Lynn, this is the only one. I am not following a particular pattern, just trying out the selective cutting and used the EZ Dresden template. I have not sewn any seams together yet, just overlapped the cut blades trying to see how many will fit to complete the circle. I need it to be an even number of blades to maintain the alternating edges.

I think JR has hit on my problem though, I overlapped the blades by 1/4 inch when I set them out on the table and it should have been 1/2 inch. I think what I may do is go ahead and piece the blades together using a large basting stitch so I can really see how many I need to fit. It may be that 20 blades will fit just fine.

I know that when I made my 5 inch Dresden flower blades based on Jenny's tutorial it took exactly 20 blades. But when I made the smaller flowers, 3.5, 3.0 and 2.5 inch blades I had to reduce the number of blades to get the flowers to lay flat. I was assuming that using the 8 inch blades for this Dresden I would need more than 20 blades but it seemed like 22 was too many and 20 too few when I laid them out on the table. SO I guess the only way to know for sure is to go ahead and piece them and see what I end up with.

I do think the pattern effect is pretty cool...and this is gonna make me want to go out and look for some regular cotton quilting fabrics that might have some really nice patterns to try this with. I will try to make a wall hanging out of this Dresden with the upholstery fabric if things work out.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions!
                Linda
                -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pdjewelrylady View Post
                  i know when i made mine the difference between a 5" blade and a 4" or a 5" and a 6" blade is a big difference.
                  Yeah Suzi I was noticing the same thing when I made my smaller blades for a different project. I have enough extra blades for this project that I can insert up to 28 blades total if needed, but I would think 22 - 24 max should be enough. Just trying to keep my repeating pattern matched up and not end up needing an odd number of blades!

Regarding my rounded tops, if I can get my blades pieced properly, should I trim both sides of the rounded tops so they meet the valley of the pointed tops and then satin stitch the rounded tops to the background fabric? I don't want to have to trim anything off the peak of the rounded tops since they carry an important pattern element with the flower there...but I think my sides should all meet in a V with the other blades?
                  Linda

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sewbee View Post
                    Regarding my rounded tops, if I can get my blades pieced properly, should I trim both sides of the rounded tops so they meet the valley of the pointed tops and then satin stitch the rounded tops to the background fabric? I don't want to have to trim anything off the peak of the rounded tops since they carry an important pattern element with the flower there...but I think my sides should all meet in a V with the other blades?
                    Here is what I'm talking about:

SELECTIVE CUT DRESDEN PROJECT ROUNDED EDGES_0003.jpg
                    Linda

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sewbee View Post
                      Personally I feel you should secure both the rounded and pointed in the same fashion, if you satin stitch just the round ones then it may look odd. I would needle turn the rounded edge and slip stitch it, likewise the point is already a finished edge so just slip stitch it. If you turn under a 1/4" on the round, tack and press it should pretty much bring it in line with you point valleys. If this affects your design then just turn under a smidge to slip stitch it, I don't think lining up the valleys is critical, it looks lovely with the round ones appearing longer. I say appearing as I assume the overall length is actually the same.

The other option is to slide them to level with the centre now not lined up...it won't matter here as you will be covering it anyway.
                      Last edited by Dragonfly; September 27, 2010, 09:42 PM.
                      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post

The other option is to slide them to level with the centre now not lined up...it won't matter here as you will be covering it anyway.
                        Yepper - that is the way i would go with it........
                        Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
                        hugs, Suzi
                        http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
                        it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                          Only problem I see doing that is it will definitely mess up the circular repeating pattern of flowers right at the center of the Dresden if I don't keep the bottom of the blades even. What ever fabric I use to cover the hole will be designed to cover a minimal amount of pattern. I think the repeating pattern at the center is more dramatic and integral to the design than the top edges.

I'm inclined to piece the blades from bottom up in order to keep the patterns at center and mid-center running properly and then not worry too much if the pointed and rounded edges don't meet evenly. I agree with Lynn that the rounded blades have an appearance of being "longer" even though they are cut the same length as the pointed blades and I like that effect too.

I am not a "turn needler" in fact not much of a hand stitcher at all anymore but I will see what I can do with the edges tomorrow. It would be nice if I could turn under all the edges and attach them in similar fashion as Lynn says. I need to head to bed now though and dream on it! Still this whole concept of "fussy cutting" has got me motivated to play around with it more. Looks like I may be stuck on doing Dresdens for some time to come! Thanks for all the good advice everyone! It sure helps to have more heads than one figuring some of this stuff out!

P.S. If anyone wants to check out how to do these types of Dresdens check out Sharon Stroud's book
                          "Dresden Plates of Distinction" I just ordered it used from Amazon and am waiting on it now...but it was the pics in her book and website that hooked me on trying this.

Sharon Stroud Book.jpg
                          Linda

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X