Question on putting quilt together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on putting quilt together

]Hi, I'm new to the quilting world, so much fun !!
    My question is how do you put the 3 layers of quilt together
    and have it tight without a quilt frame ? Tried laying on
    floor but that just isn't tight enough. All help will be appreciated.
    Thanks, Sue

Re: Question on putting quilt together

Watch the tutorial about the baby quilt Jenny does. That will tell you about putting it together to get it ready to quilt. If you quilt it by hand and don't have a frame, you can start in the middle of the quilt with a hoop to keep the part you're working on taunt. Then work your way out from the middle. Or take it to a quilt shop that has a long arm and have them do the quilting. Some places teach you how to use the long arm and you can rent the machine and do it yourself. You have to go there, they don't let you take it out.
    Hope that helps somewhat.
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I use basting spray to keep it altogether but I do have to do it on the floor. The last one I did took me forever to get it all straight so the next time I am going to try to find someplace that will let me use a space with some tables. The LQS near me used to over their backroom if it wasn't in use but they closed. This is a very good question so I will check to see what others say about this.
      Thanks for asking!
      Patti
      Patti
      "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Originally posted by patticakes View Post
        I use basting spray to keep it altogether but I do have to do it on the floor. The last one I did took me forever to get it all straight so the next time I am going to try to find someplace that will let me use a space with some tables. The LQS near me used to over their backroom if it wasn't in use but they closed. This is a very good question so I will check to see what others say about this.
        Thanks for asking!
        Patti
        I have used so many different ways. I usually spray baste. Before we moved, we swept out the garage, put down a tarp, then a lg pc of muslin, then did the spray basting. We can't do that now, so I gave up on doing anything large. I prefer small quilts anyway. I am tired of messing with quilting large quilts...so those will all go to Jenny!

Comment

Thanks for the idea's.

Comment

I tape mine down then pin it. I used to pin on the floor, but my knees really killed after a while, so now I use 2 folding tables butted together and tape it down on there.

I tape my backing down good side to the table, making sure that it is taught and even. Then I lay my batting and my top over the backing so it's like a sandwich. I start pinning from the middle of the quilt to the outside working in single palm stretches of area and around in a circle. When you look at my pinned quilt you will see no spaces without a pin that are bigger than my hand (it works out to about every 6 inches) and the pins run in concentric circles from the center outward.
            Michele

Comment

Thanks for the info on how to do that. I doubt I could do something really big without sending it to Jenny or a LQS. and longarming it. I'm just getting used to doing little things. Got a lot to learn yet.
              Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I do the same as Michele, be careful not to stretch your backing while taping it down, just taut, not pulled out of shape. It's good to give your top a thorough press first as well and then smooth it over the batting, if it has lots of seams and is a little 'springy' then carefully tape the top down as well.

Another tip is, if you are buying your batting in a packaged roll, take it out of the bag and open it out several days before you need to use it. This allows the the fibres to relax from their scrunched up position and it will be esier to work with and cause you less problems when it stretches out later.
                Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Hi Sue, if you want to see something really different and easy, Sharon Schamber has a wonderful tutorial on Youtube about putting your quilt sandwich together. It keeps off of the floor, keeps everything stright and is really pretty easy. I just tried it and it's wonderful, but you will be hand basting. Pam

Comment

Originally posted by pjm View Post
                    Hi Sue, if you want to see something really different and easy, Sharon Schamber has a wonderful tutorial on Youtube about putting your quilt sandwich together. It keeps off of the floor, keeps everything stright and is really pretty easy. I just tried it and it's wonderful, but you will be hand basting. Pam
                    I saw this and was intrigued by it. I think if I make something large again i want to use this method

Comment

Working...
                    X