Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Quilt Project Advice Needed Please

Hi Ladies!

I was so excited when I got my new Easy Dresden Tool and my first charm pack from MSQC that I just had to try cutting out the plate wedges. So I made the 5inch wedges like in Jennys Dresden tutorial and sewed them together. I then had to decide on what to do for the center of the flower. I picked out some fabric from my stash and decided to try this product called "Texture Magic" which results in a cool textured pattern on any fabric you apply it to. You have to pattern stitch or stipple a sheet of texture magic to the wrong side of your fabric, then apply steam to cause the fabric to shrink by 30%. The shrinkage is what creates the ridges and textured effect to the fabric. You then cut out whatever shape you need the fabric in to apply to your project. This is my first time using it but I think it might work great for small areas of applique that can be added to a quilt.

FLOWER CENTER USING TEXTURE MAGIC.jpg

So after I had my flower made, I thought I needed a color separation between my flower and the intended background material (a sunny yellow fabric), so I decided to cut out a piece of white fabric by outlining the shape of the flower but making the edges scalloped. My original plan was to have each flower point centered in the middle of each scallop point, but after cutting and pressing the white fabric I must have stretched it a little or did poor cutting because my points did not match up. So I just rotated the flower so that the flower points were placed in the valley of the scalloped edge instead. Its not perfect and I had to trim some of the scallops to be a little more uniform but I think it might work.

DRESDEN FLOWER WITH WHITE SCALLOPED BACKING.jpg

Basically I guess the flower will just be a big applique which I will later add appliqued stems, leaves and other smaller Dresden flowers to. I'm planning on using a contrasting color fabric border and possibly using a 2.5 inch JellyRoll as a trim border or for the binding. I am thinking I will try to Satin Stitch the raw edge of the white scallops because trying to turn the edges under and blindstitching may be more tricky. I am worried though that my applique might pucker when it comes to the final quilting with the batting and backing in place?

But this gets to my question. I don't really have a clue yet what my final project is going to be. It might be a table top square or wall hanging, or I could make it a narrow runner. I know I am always getting the cart before the horse and should have a well made plan before I ever cut my first piece of fabric....but I just don't have the patience! Please someone tell me if I am shooting myself in the foot before I even get started?

I have enough charm squares to make another large flower like this one and then I think I can make two 3.5inch Dresden flowers and two 2inch Dresden flowers to place strategically between the large flowers by placing them along a path of appliqued stems and leaves. I guess I will make all the flowers first, then decide on the size and shape of the background fabric and start planning large flower placement so I can then figure out where to place stems and leaves and small flowers. Then decide on fabric framing, borders and binding? I know I'm probably going about this all wrong, but I figure its a learning process!

P.S. WOW!! While I was typing this post I got a phone call from Natalie from the MSQC Shop! She had a question on my order yesterday, but I got a chance to ask her a few questions about this project! She gave me some great advice...said that lots of times they are not sure what their project will end up being when they start it...but that's part of the fun! She also advised that I use a fusible to smoothly attach my Dresden flowers to the background fabric so that way it won't shift and pucker when it comes time to do the final quilting! I'm so glad she called....and I even got some tips on places to look for a motel when we come up next week for the shop hop! Thanks Natalie! (and BillNye sorry for calling you "Bill" in a few posts...I just assumed that was your name!....hope you have rested up since yesterday's whirlwind of activity!)
    MSQC...thanks for the great service!
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Re: New Quilt Project Advice Needed Please

His name's not Bill??? Sorry!
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

OH MY!!!!! What a great post! I just ordered the dresedn plate templet and of course some charm squares in order to start one of my own.....do I know what I'm making, of course not!!!! Lol. It seems to be the way I usually start. My first order with MSQC and I am excited!!! I just love the tutorials and deals of the day so far and am eager to get started on "something". Also the forum seems great . I'm thing maybe a table runner or some placemats????? We'll see, I'm sure when it all gets here and I get started I'll have some more ideas. Can't wait to see you finished product!!! lol I'll show you mine when I get something done.

Comment

No such thing as getting the horse before the cart, when you come across an idea you like, just run with it. I would be tempted to make all the flowers first and then decide on a layout, they will talk to you about what they want to be. and yes maybe I'm a little but fabric talks to me all the time.

I like the white scallops, they set the colours off nicely and yes I would satin stitch them but in addition to fusing the flower down, perhaps stabilise the back with some iron on tear away first, it stops the whole thing from 'pulling' with the sewing process.

Another nice way to treat these flowers is to attach them at the centres and then stitch in the ditch along the petals so that the flower tips are not stitched down this gives a nice dimensional look the the quilt. So in this case applique the white scalloped fabric down, then lay the flower on top, stitch around or over the centre then stitch between the petals just to the valley of the points, backstitch a couple stitches to secure and then move to the next one, leaving the points free. Smaller flowers can have even less stitching, just free machine some 'veins' into the petals from the centre and leave the petals basically free.
        Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

That sounds really neat Lynn.
          Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Originally posted by janluna View Post
            That sounds really neat Lynn.
            I've taught classes using these dresden plate rulers so I have lots of ideas for using them. Another nice layout is to make two or three different size flowers and lay them on top of each other offsetting the points to make a really three dimensional flower. This one works well if you completely secure the bottom flower, ditch stitch the petals on the second flower and vein stitch the third smallest flower. Choose your fabrics/colours right and these are absolutely stunning. Well they are always lovely but ladies can be amazing in putting the right combinations together, they frequently surprise me.
            Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Originally posted by Sewbee View Post
              I picked out some fabric from my stash and decided to try this product called "Texture Magic" which results in a cool textured pattern on any fabric you apply it to. You have to pattern stitch or stipple a sheet of texture magic to the wrong side of your fabric, then apply steam to cause the fabric to shrink by 30%. The shrinkage is what creates the ridges and textured effect to the fabric.
              I have some of this Texture Magic but haven't tried it yet, used for your flower centres sounds like a great idea. This has inspired me to go play.
              Lynn

Comment

WOW Lynn! Thanks for all the great ideas and advice! You're giving me all kinds of new ways to approach this project. The 3-Dimensional effect using different size flowers on top of each other may be something I should try. I was cutting out 3.5, 3.0 and 2.5 inch petals last night for my small fill-in flowers but just might try layering them to see how they look. The centers of each flower will be a different size so you end up with the smallest center flower on top of the other centers right? So would you stitch around the center of the smallest top flower in addition to doing a little freehand veining?

On the one large flower I have already made, I used fusible interfacing on the back of the white scalloped material to stabilize it before cutting the scallops. I then attached the flower to the scallop fabric by stitching in the ditch of every 4th petal just to secure it. But I like your idea of not sewing down the petal tips and trying to make different dimensions and textures on the applique.

Is there a special type of fusible I should be using to attach the whole flower applique to the background material or can I use the usual Pellon featherweight fusible interfacing I use for sewing clothes? I am also going to have to practice satin stitching the scallops on some scrap material since I have not used that stitch on the new sewing machine yet and need to test my settings.

Lynn, thanks so much for the great tips! I am really getting excited trying to visualize this project and seeing that there are so many different directions it can take. I totally AGREE that the fabric can speak to us! The fabric starts speaking to me as soon as I see it on the store shelf! I am always being pulled towards fabrics that immediately generate a positive gut reaction the first time I see them. Then once I start putting multiple fabrics, colors and patterns together....it is like an "AHA!" moment when you see fabrics that just gravitate to each other.

Ohh...gotta get back to my project and get those little flowers made. Want to try out the layering idea! Thanks again!

Linda
                -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

Oh Lynn....a tip on the Texture Magic. Make sure you use the table in the package that tells you what size fabric swatch you need in order to provide the size of texturized material you want in your project. At my first attempt I just guessed and my final textured fabric was too small to cut the full round circle I needed for the center of the flower. That fabric will really shrink down a good 30% if you are using lots of steam on it.

Also if you really want the texturized center to have lots of "poof" and dimension, don't make the mistake I did and press down the center along with the petals! Lol...I just wasn't thinking when I pressed the center. It still has some texture but it is pretty flattened down. More 3D effect if you don't press it at all.

Texture Magic is a great fun tool though...I see it used lots in purse making for special accent pieces. I don't know any reason it could not be incorporated into some neat quilting ideas too!
                  Linda

sigpic

Comment

Lana welcome to the forums! I know the excitement you are talking about getting your new tools, fabrics and ready to start a project! I hope you enjoy the Dresden tool as much as I do. You will have to show us your project once you get it started! The girls here are great for helping each other out if you have any questions!

Linda

sigpic

Comment

Did you see the quilt the girls in the shop made using a honey bun? If you're going to layer up your flowers this might be a good way to showcase it:

Quilting through the dull times
                      northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Wow...that's very pretty JR! Thanks! I love saving quilt pictures for ideas and future projects! This has got me thinking more about ways to place my big and little Dresden flowers and using the interesting borders and framing they did! Cool quilt!
                        Linda

sigpic

Comment

Pretty, isn't it? The blog post is here if you would like some more instructions.

Comment

thanks Jill for sharing that link. It looks like fun to do; the only thing I am unsure of - probably because I was speed reading was the wavy overlay. I am going to assume before I go back re read it that is turned under and appliqued to the other fabric?

I so enjoy seeing everyone's work. And Jill, I love your blog.

Blessings
                            Blondie
                            Sewing mends the soul.
                            sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                            Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                            ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Thanks Blondie x

Comment

Working...
                              X