• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natalie
    replied
    Re: pre shrinking

Originally posted by liviamarie3
    O whew!! Thanks! Needed that reassurance. I found this pattern online: http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projects- ... spy_1.html
    I got the red, dark blue, light blue, and green backgrounds in flannel. I'm having a hard time finding flannel prints that match these colors though ( I have 4 so far...need 16)...so I think I will just go with cotton prints for the rest of them.
    How do you know what's "good" flannel? I think I have an idea, because one of the prints I got is really nice and thick, and sturdy and the others are more limp, but they were all the same price.
    I had to look up what a rag quilt is ... all this new terminology. it looks really cool! Maybe I"ll try something like that too! What's the plan for your quilt?
    that quilt looks adorable! I would love to see some pics of it when your done with yours!

Leave a comment:

• piecemaker
    replied

I have pre-washed fabrics for some projects and not for others. I definitely would not, and never will probably, pre-wash my pre-cuts. They are too small and never come out of the dryer straight and clean cut. I like the look of a perfectly pressed quilt or wallhanging. It all depends on the look you are shooting for, to me.

Leave a comment:

• stitchywoman
    replied

That is really cute I love the little magnifying glasses! So fun! Perfect for a 2 year old but I think even my 7 year old would love it! That's gonna be something that can be loved for a long time

Leave a comment:

• liviamarie3
    replied

that sounds really nice I've been using hand applique. I think I'll try to give the machine a try, but for now its just by hand. I really hope my 2 yr old will like it!

Leave a comment:

• jenny
    replied

How do you tell good flannel??Really it is by feeling it. You will get used to companies and brands, but mostly I feel my fabric....doesn't everyone?
    On my "I spy" I was thinking I would border the squares and put them together with a sashing. The pattern you are doing looks really fun. Are you going to machine or hand applique?

Leave a comment:

• liviamarie3
    replied

O whew!! Thanks! Needed that reassurance. I found this pattern online: http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projects- ... spy_1.html
    I got the red, dark blue, light blue, and green backgrounds in flannel. I'm having a hard time finding flannel prints that match these colors though ( I have 4 so far...need 16)...so I think I will just go with cotton prints for the rest of them.
    How do you know what's "good" flannel? I think I have an idea, because one of the prints I got is really nice and thick, and sturdy and the others are more limp, but they were all the same price.
    I had to look up what a rag quilt is ... all this new terminology. it looks really cool! Maybe I"ll try something like that too! What's the plan for your quilt?

Leave a comment:

• jenny
    replied

did I just write porpuse????? I meant purpose

Leave a comment:

• jenny
    replied

I have also made several rag quilts out of flannel and they are NOT prewashed on porpuse so that they can ravel later!
    Let me know how you do!

Leave a comment:

• jenny
    replied

You will be fine! Piece away. Quilting is much more forgiving that people make it sound. I have made tons of flannel quilts and I generally don't prewash. Now if I am doing something with bright red fabric and white or something like that I would prewash to make sure the colors don't run. If you buy good fabric the dye should be set and you shouldn't have any problem. I too like a crinkly quilt!
    I am getting ready to make an I spy quilt how are you doing yours?

Leave a comment:

• liviamarie3
    replied

Hmm thats good to know! I'm new to this too and I am just loving this site and the videos and everything!! I am in the process of making my son a flannel I-spy quilt (the flannel was on sale, that's why I chose it). I washed it once on warm and dried it on low and cut it up. To my horror, I read somewhere that you should prewash flannel twice on hot...I'm scared to piece my stuff together now...are there any rule of thumbs that you've come across when working with flannel?

Leave a comment:

• shell.scraps
    replied

Originally posted by Misty
    You know, I enjoy ironing fabric too. When Natalie and I were ironing the 12 million fat quarters for the shop I thought it would be horrible but I found it therapeutic... but clothes.... NO WAY!

:mrgreen:

I love working with freshly ironed fabric....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Leave a comment:

• rougealar
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Misty
    replied

You know, I enjoy ironing fabric too. When Natalie and I were ironing the 12 million fat quarters for the shop I thought it would be horrible but I found it therapeutic... but clothes.... NO WAY!

Leave a comment:

• rougealar
    replied

Thank you ladies! I too love the crinkly look! I don't like to use fabric without washing it though....Okay, Okay, I have to confess I love the smell of the cotton when I iron it, so I always wash it I wasn't looking forward soaking the batting so I won't do it. Oh yeah the ironing I like to do is JUST fabric not garments (unless it's construction ironing!)

Leave a comment:

• Misty
    replied

Originally posted by shell.scraps
    I don't even pre-wash my fabric.......but shhhhh...don't tell anyone!
    hehe, me neither!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X