continuous bias binding strips...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

continuous bias binding strips...

does anyone know of a good tutorial (or can one be posted here) of how to do a continuous binding strip. I don't want to peice a whole bunch of little peices since I'll be using the same material for the entire binding...

help!!!
    Michele

Re: continuous bias binding strips...

I don't understand... don't you just cut 2 1/2 inch strips of whatever fabric you're using to bind???

I'm no help... sorry.

Comment

yes..but there are methods for doing one continuous strip using only a few seams...it's all in how you cut it...I just can't find a clear concise tutorial on it and wondered if anyone here knew of one...
      Michele

Comment

On bias if you have your WOF (which is 42" approx) you will have 126" out of three (3)-2 1/2" strips or a quarter of a yard. That is if you bind in this style. I found binding tips in my Quilt and More magazine.
        Happy Quilting
        Daniela

http://pinkquotidian.blogspot.com/

Comment

Did you ever find a tutorial!?!? I feel bad... I hope that you were able to get the info you need on this! I will talk to Mom and see if she knows the answer. Sorry again....I hadn't seen this on here yet! BAD me! :|

WE'd love to know what you have found out!

Comment

Originally posted by sewhot
            Did you ever find a tutorial!?!? I feel bad... I hope that you were able to get the info you need on this! I will talk to Mom and see if she knows the answer. Sorry again....I hadn't seen this on here yet! BAD me! :|

WE'd love to know what you have found out!
            I found out that it's harder than it looks...I found 2 different tutorials that show it and both times I was able to mess them up. I just pieced the binding. I got it on and am now hand stitching the front side. I hope that we can get a tutorial in the tutorial section....we have the two steps on either side of it...the squaring up and the attaching the binding...but not how to make the binding...it just seems logical to me :mrgreen: ... but then I'm pretty illogical most of the time!!!
            Michele

Comment

No, you're right... that seems logical.

Comment

I didn't reply earlier because continuous binding is NOT fun to make and I didn't have an easy way or a tutorial to share! There are ways where you cut some type of angled rectangle of whatever size and sew the ends together like an offset tube ( I know it makes no sense reading it but that's kinda my point ) then you cut around and around till you get 1 long strip of bias cut fabric all already sewn together. Frankly, until someone finds the easy way to calculate size, angles, strips etc. It's so much easier to just cut your 2.5" strips and sew them together. You can angle your seams whether they are bias cut or straight and that helps reduce bulk. The only time you might really want a Bias cut binding is if you have a scalloped or curved edge to your quilt.

It could probably be figured out. hmmm....
                To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

Originally posted by stitchywoman
                  You can angle your seams whether they are bias cut or straight and that helps reduce bulk. The only time you might really want a Bias cut binding is if you have a scalloped or curved edge to your quilt.

It could probably be figured out. hmmm....
                  So I don't have to do the binding strips on the bias? wow....that makes life so much easier....holy crow..
                  Michele

Comment

That's what were here for baby!!

Yeah, really.....don't do biased binding unless you HAVE too!! Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I so agree! No need to make more work for ourselves then necessary!
                      To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

I'm so out of the loop. I didn't even know people worried about cutting binding on the bias.... silly me.

Comment

Working...
                        X