Rotary cutter help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotary cutter help.

As you all know I am a newbie at quilting......so i bought a Fiskars rotary cutter and for the life of me i can not get it to cut my fabric...but it will cut paper lice cake. So I hope you all know what im doing wrong!

Re: Rotary cutter help.

Hey Nicole I'm new at this too but what I found was it takes alot of pressure. In one of Jenny's tut. she tells herself to press harder. Hope this helps keep trying you'll get it.
    Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

Nicole, I had alot of trouble with rotary cutting as well.
      Are you starting with the blade off the fabric?
      It does take some pressure, more if your fabric is doubled or folded 2x or more. I personally don't like my fabric folded any more than just selvedge to selvedge, but sometimes it's necessary to fold it more.
      Always have a different blade for fabric and paper!
      I recently learned how important a new blade can be! I was having a terrible time cutting fabric, but was trying to be frugal and use an old blade for much longer that I should have. Now that I have put on a new blade it's like a hot knife thru buttah! LOL I used a JoAnn's coupon and bought a 5 pack!
      Try lifting up on the handle part of your rotary cutter, they seem to work better at an angle rather than at the same level as the mat. This also helps to put a bit more pressure on it.
      Here's a link to a YT video. There are many out there, but this is one to get you started. I do have to say I would never cut my fabric as wrinkled as hers is, and I don't like to flip my fabric after straightening the edge, but that's just my little pickiness....LOL
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ebyZ...eature=related
      Lola
      :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

If you used it on paper, I am sorry to say that it probably is worthless for fabric now. I am so sorry!!

You can take the blade out and flip it over to see if that helps.

Also, run it over aluminum foil several times to sharpen it.

Comment

Does it have a blade guard on it? My big Fiskars set does, and it is much different than my Olfa blade. As a matter of fact it keeps popping back down , so I don't use it very often, only if I have bulky things like fleece or batting.
          Double check to see if the "safety blade guard" is off/up. If it still won't work, take it back and ask for some help at the fabric store. You paid for it. Ask them to show you how to use it.
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Good tip on the foil sharpening. I have a slightly dull blade, think I will try that. Thanks!
            Patti
            "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Also make sure the blade is installed correctly, ie if you are left handed, it would have to be installed on the other side. Oh, and uh, don't ask me how I know that!
              ~Laurie

Comment

Thanks ladies..Im going to buy a new blade and see if that works..Im so aggregative i have to make a lot of stuff for Christmas and i keep getting held back..ugh!!

Comment

Lots of good suggestions here. However about using a cutter or scissors on paper. It is a wives tale that paper will ruin blades. I was always under that impression until in a Carol Doak class years ago. I ws very skeptical but decided to give it the test. Sure enough I have never had a blade of any type ruined. Carol said that maybe paper might leave a residue on the blade but wouldnt ruin it. Just wipe the blades occasionally if you feel it is dragging. I bought an Orbital Sharpener about 3 years ago and have yet to buy new blades. I am not an occasional quilter and an avid paper piecer. I use the same blade for everything. I think I used to get nervous about others using my scissors (kids and husbands!) because they had no regard for how they should be used. Nails, staples, carpet, etc. LOL Thats what ruined blades, not normal paper cutting. My Ginghers are as good as ever even using them for paper.

Comment

Did you cut on a mat specifically made for rotary cutting?
                    Anita/NYC

Comment

Working...
                    X