Marking Pens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marking Pens

I am using stencils to learn how to free motion. I've been using a ball point pen on scrap fabric to mark my stencils. I have a hard time following light colored lines. Could someone recommend a good marking tool that can be seen easily and will wash out of my quilts when I am finished.

Re: Marking Pens

I know some people use talc. There are little "poof" bags or "pouncers" that you can get that will put a powder on the fabric that washes out and leaves no residue.
    Michele

Comment

I use a water soluble pen I love it but it can be hard to see on darker fabrics. How does the talc work? When you say poof bags it doesn't sound like it makes a very clean line. Are they good for drawing out a sewing pattern?
      To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

the talc bags are more for using stencils...you lay the stencil down then pounce the bag over it and it leaves talc where you would otherwise trace the pattern....I'm sure you can also get a white marking pencil if you are drawing freehand...
        Michele

Comment

I'll check them out. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I have found that the Crayola washable markers will work to mark your quilts too. You can get the finer point, skinny markers too, and they come in a lot of colors from dark blues and purples to light grays. They are really easy to see. I would check your fabric before you do a whole intricately pieced quilt top, but I have had really good luck with them on the simpler kids quilts I have made.
            I have found a silver pencil that works well with the dark fabrics. It is water soluble. That is all it says on the side of the pencil too. I don't remember the brand, but I am sure I bought it off the notions wall at JoAnn's.
            Be who you are and say what you feel
            because those who mind don't matter,
            and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Have any of you tried "Chacoliners"? They come in about 4 colors, and are about 9 dollars each. I'd like to try them, but want opinions first!

Thanks all,

greggsewbusy
              Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Comment

Very interesting ... I think I want to try the talc as well... My first attempt at using stencils I used air dispearing ink... well all was fine until I had to put the project away and come back later and half my lines disappeared Wendi

Comment

Working...
                X