Piecing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piecing

As I am very much a newby, can you tell me if most of you piece by hand or machine? I have only used the machine so far, but then done simple quilting by hand.
    I enjoy the hand quilting, but my stitches are not tiny
    Do most people machine quilt do you think?

Re: Piecing

I've only done straight line machine quilting on most of my quilts. I made one for a wedding present that I quilted the straight lines by machine and then hand quilted some patterns in the middle of the blocks.

I mainly machine quilt because it's so much quicker than hand sewing. I'm about to venture into free motion quilting but I'm a little scared to mess it up!
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

I usually piece by machine because it's faster but some people like the hand work b/c it's relaxing. I'm going to take a class in hand quilting for that reason. Although, lots of people like hand piecing for the same reason. Maybe if I was more confident in my hand stitching I would enjoy that too. I'm afraid my hand stitching will fall apart quicker. I trust the machine to do a better job. One of the girls in my club has done a couple of quilts by hand and they are beautiful. So I guess it comes down to preference and confidence. {:->
      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I do all machine as my hands can't take the other.

Jr..have you seen the free motion quilting lessons going on in blog land? I'll post it here later when my babe is asleep.

Comment

I do machine quilting all the way.hand quilting is too slow for me lol.
          Quilting is good therapy.

Comment

Thanks for your replies I think I would be bored if I pieced by hand, but I quite enjoy doing very simple quilting by hand. The only problem is that I have a bit of arthritis, so my fingers get pretty sore. Maybe I will have to start machine quilting too.

Comment

The hand quilting class I'm taking is for people with arthritis. That's why I'm taking it.
              Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I would love to hear how you get on janluna. It's no fun having aching fingers. I used to do a lot of embroidery but it got too difficult, that is why I'm trying quilting.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Lou View Post
                  I would love to hear how you get on janluna. It's no fun having aching fingers. I used to do a lot of embroidery but it got too difficult, that is why I'm trying quilting.
                  Me too...share when you are done as I would enjoy the hand work. I used to be a very avid cross-stitcher but made the switch due to my hands. That was about 10 years ago. I am 41 and already my handwriting is almost un-legible. sigh.

Comment

Working...
                  X