Calculations on a 40 x 40 quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calculations on a 40 x 40 quilt

So I get out my little pencil and am calculating a 40 x 40 quilt with 5 x 5 squares, with two boarders of 2" and the other 2.5" why is it a 1/2" off. I need 7 5 x 5 squares that are precut already from Kona fabric, first boarer cutting is 2.5, the other cutting boarder is 3.00 what did I do wrong? Mahalo
    sigpicHawaiigrammi

Re: Calculations on a 40 x 40 quilt

Aren't the 5 inch precuts 5 inches? Meaning when you sew them, you end up with a 4 1/2 inch square. 7 times 4.5 is 31.5 inches. Border one is 2 strips at 1.5 when sewn for 3 inches, and the other at 2 strips at 2.5 when sewn for 5 inches. That is 8 more inches for a total of 39.5. I don't think you did anything wrong. Why is it so important to have it exactly 40 inches? If it is that important, cut the 2 inch strip 2 1/4 inches which will give you 3 1/2 inches instead of 3.
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

Re: Calculations on a 40 x 40 quilt

LOL no it is not important to have exactly a 40" quilt but I was at a quilting shop yesterday and they had one that measured that I just thought I was doing my calculations wrong I certainly can live with 1/2 off. And yes they are 5" precuts and I certainly can use your calculations. Much Mahalo
      Originally posted by madampolo View Post
      Aren't the 5 inch precuts 5 inches? Meaning when you sew them, you end up with a 4 1/2 inch square. 7 times 4.5 is 31.5 inches. Border one is 2 strips at 1.5 when sewn for 3 inches, and the other at 2 strips at 2.5 when sewn for 5 inches. That is 8 more inches for a total of 39.5. I don't think you did anything wrong. Why is it so important to have it exactly 40 inches? If it is that important, cut the 2 inch strip 2 1/4 inches which will give you 3 1/2 inches instead of 3.
      sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Working...
      X