stipple quilting pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stipple quilting pattern

Can anyone tell me about this. I read in the blog that someone uses this method all the time as it is easy and always looks good. Thanks!
    sigpic
    Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Re: stipple quilting pattern

Originally posted by sally View Post
    Can anyone tell me about this. I read in the blog that someone uses this method all the time as it is easy and always looks good. Thanks!
    It is very easy. Do you have a darning or free motion foot? You will need that.

Comment

Not sure. I will have to look though not sure what I am looking for. I didn't buy this machine so not sure what came with it. What do they look like. The tools not the machine. I know what that looks like...lol
      sigpic

Comment

Did you get a book with it? If not, the company might send you one if you ask. That should tell you what each foot is.
        Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I am going to look when I get home. FRIDAY!!! Jan FRIDAY!!! Did you make the blueberry muffins?
          sigpic

Comment

No, Joe couldn't find any. We'll get them tomorrow cause now I have a craving!!
            On your machine, what kind is it? Mine is a singer. At any rate my darning foot looks like a shank with a small circle that the needle goes through. I wish I could send a picture. It doesn't look like a normal open toed foot or a 1/4" foot. I hope this helps. Am I making sense? lol
            Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I googled it and I see what you mean. I don't think i have one but then i have 3 sewing machines. Long story. One was in my hubby's family, one I bought , one is a singer hand crank from 1919 and another 1940's singer. Hopefully one should have something...lol I can't have muffins yet because of this blasted restricted diet.. but I can have homemade granolia bars so i am going to make them tonight though I would rather have a muffin ... sigh!
              sigpic

Comment

I did stippling on the quilt I hand quilted. I used a stencil to mark my quilt. I plan on using my machine to do it too. I like it and it is an easy pattern.
                Shelia

Comment

You can tell I am new but what kind of pencil do I use for marking a pattern on my quilt?
                  sigpic

Comment

I have a preference for chalk pencils but be aware that they rub off fairly easily (in fact the reason why I like them) so best to only mark the area you are immediately working in, if possible. Stay away from the blue etc quilt marking pens, they are evil. I won't use anything with chemicals in on my quilts, no one knows what the impact on the fabric will be in 20 years time and I want mine to last way longer than that. Do not use normal pencils either, thay have a graphite base normally and will not remove from fabric. Oh and some of the newer marking pens/pencils are wax based be cautious of those as well.

Sorry I'm fussy.

Lynn
                    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I used a water soluble chalk pencil. I also marked my whole quilt top before I sandwiched it. I did have some spots that were rubbed off, but no big areas where I couldn't attach the marks together by eyeballing it. The pattern meanders all over so it's pretty forgiving if you don't follow the lines exactly (IMHO). After I finished quilting the top I took a damp cloth and removed the chalk I could still see. I also wouldn't use one of the blue or purple markers that are like a Mark-B-Gone. I have heard people say they used these and either the marks didn't disappear or they ironed the top and then the marks were set. Yikes!!!
                      Last edited by Texsam; August 28, 2010, 08:26 AM.
                      Shelia

Comment

I have dabbled with stippling ,there are lots of video's on utube to show different methods.Not that adventureous as yet, but I have done circles/jig saw shapes on a block.One i saw the lady did feathers that was interesting.
                        Quilting is good therapy.

Comment

I just finished my third top. It seems that I can do the top but the quilting has me really scared!!!! I'd love to just for once finish something. I'm ready to start the search for someone who has a quilt machine and just send them all out! But I'm learning a lot and having a great time here. Thanks to all of you for being there. I get lots of questions qnswered and don't have to feel foolish about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                            Stay away from the blue etc quilt marking pens, they are evil.
                            Lynn
                            I wish I'd read this a couple of days ago. I've marked up a quilt with a blue "washable pen" and now I'm struggling to get it off. I tested it on a scrap but when the pen has been left for longer as I quilted it seems to have soaked into the fibres. I think I'm just going to have to be persistant.
                            Quilting through the dull times
                            northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

I use chalk. It drives me crazy because you can only mark a small area at a time. Otherwise, they rub off. But, that is better than a ruined quilt!

Comment

Working...
                              X