Borders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Borders?

Ok you gals help me out here please,its been ages since i quilted so i feel rather new at this.
    I did my borders on the width/length of the fabric, but find its a tad rippely now.plus i squared it off before laying on the batting back.
    My questions is this--whats the propper way to cut out for borders ! lenghwise width,or up from the fold??? which in my view- i would need to join sections of a border to make it fit for a large quilt.TIA
    Quilting is good therapy.

Re: Borders?

I hope someone answers this question, b/c I want to know too. You don't cut it length wise, you do cut it width wise (WOF) which means your border will be pieced right?
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I cut my borders with LOF (length of fabric) as there is less stretch versus WOF. I measure the quilt top/bottom in the middle and cut my borders to that length. I find the middle of the quilt and the border and start pining from the center out. Here's an article with drawings.
      http://www.quiltbug.com/articles/borders.htm

I know I said I pin but I don't. I use Elmer's washable school glue. I place dots of glue, press and the sew. The glue keeps the border in place perfectly so I never worry that it's not going to match up. Just my way.
      SandyQuilts
      http://sandyquilts.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Doesn't the glue gum up the needle? I know you change after each project but what about during the project if you are using glue.? Forgive me I'm new to quilting. I know my questions are minor but that's how I learn the right way.

Comment

I don't like piecing my borders if they are all the same fabric, so I buy a large enough piece to do LOF also. Usually I don't have alot left over as I use it for my binding as well.

If you let the glue dry, it does fine. I like glue sticks as well. (If you buy a big bulk of them and keep them in the freezer they don't go bad). I don't have gumming trouble with sticks...if I let them dry, but i haven't tried actual glue. I will have to!

Comment

Thanks Hillbilly. I just got my borders on my DH's wall hanging of his trains.

Comment

Reference the glue .... you're only using a dot a small dot on the edge .... no where near the stitching line, press with a hot iron to dry.
                SandyQuilts
                http://sandyquilts.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Sandy.

Comment

Originally posted by sandyquilts View Post
                    I cut my borders with LOF (length of fabric) as there is less stretch versus WOF. I measure the quilt top/bottom in the middle and cut my borders to that length. I find the middle of the quilt and the border and start pining from the center out. Here's an article with drawings.
                    http://www.quiltbug.com/articles/borders.htm

I know I said I pin but I don't. I use Elmer's washable school glue. I place dots of glue, press and the sew. The glue keeps the border in place perfectly so I never worry that it's not going to match up. Just my way.
                    Thank you for the link,Im more a visual learner really,I guess i was too excited to begin my borders,as I did not measure first argggggg as the video suggests. Fortunately its for my personal use this quilt.Appreciated thanks again
                    Quilting is good therapy.

Comment

Working...
                    X