Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maths, maths and more maths

Hi everybody

I'm going back to university in October after a year out. I need to brush up on some things and one of them is my programming skills. I noticed previously that quite a few people have problems calculating yardages for sashing, borders, binding and backing so I thought I might write a little widget that you could all use.

Do you think this would be useful? Is there anything else you struggle with maths-wise?

Jill x
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Re: Maths, maths and more maths

I struggle with math all the time! So yes, please go ahead and help people like me!
    Hugs, Jan
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

You are wonderful!!!! Thanks!!

I think half square/quarter square triangles, and someone asked how to calculate pinwheels different than the tutorial.

Comment

Congratulations on continuing your education! What will you be studying?

Comment

I'm going back to do the final year of my engineering degree. I wonder if my new quilting skills will be helpful
          Quilting through the dull times
          northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Sure plus the quilts too...snuggle up in them when you are studing those blasted exams. Glad to hear you are going back. I know you took some time off for health reasons. I hope that has been fixed. Best of luck!
            sigpic
            Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Comment

Good Luck!!!!!!! Any and all math tips you wanna post would be most welcome!!!!!!!!!
              Have a blessed day in HIS name!
              PAULA

Comment

Well I can use all the help in that department I can get. So bring on the widgets!!

Oh yeah and what hillbilly said about the triangles!!
                Shelia

Comment

Originally posted by jrchapman View Post
                  I'm going back to do the final year of my engineering degree. I wonder if my new quilting skills will be helpful
                  why not? you are building something! LOL
                  Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Originally posted by jrchapman View Post
                    Hi everybody

I'm going back to university in October after a year out. I need to brush up on some things and one of them is my programming skills. I noticed previously that quite a few people have problems calculating yardages for sashing, borders, binding and backing so I thought I might write a little widget that you could all use.

Do you think this would be useful? Is there anything else you struggle with maths-wise?

Jill x
                    OOOH! You're using the "M" word! I don't think we're supposed to use that kind of language here!
                    *HUGS* and Alohas, Bridgette

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Unknown

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!" - Unknown

Blog
                    http://hapamomquilts.blogspot.com

Comment

Jill,

Jenny's method for making 1/4 square triangles by putting 2 squares together, sewing a 1/4 seam around all four sides and then cutting the square on the diagonal twice is a fantastic way to make those 1/4 square triangles. It would be so helpful if someone would come up with the math to figure out different sizes. I thought I had it figured out. I tried making smaller 1/4 squares than Jenny's and it didn't work out the way I expected. If you can figure this out with your classes that would be super.

Rebecca
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Rebecca,

I remember seeing that 'sew around the outside' instruction, but now I can't find it. Do you have a link? And yes, having the math for different sizes would be great.

Pat

Comment

I couldn't find it on the MSQC, but I did find it on their channel on YouTube.
                          Here is the link for it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYpJzHoW6E
                          Lola
                          :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Thank you! That is a cool way to do half-squares.

Comment

You are very welcome. I think there is at least one other video on the YouTube channel that I haven't found on the MSQC site.
                              I am not good at math at all......that is why I have ended up with too much pieced border for a quilt in progress, but it will work out as a baby quilt very soon.
                              I am wondering how big HST would be if you started with 10" squares, as in using layer cakes??
                              Lola
                              :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Working...
                              X