Irish Chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish Chain

Has anyone made an Irish Chain quilt? Is it hard to do?
    sigpic
    Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Re: Irish Chain

I haven't tried one yet but I think the difficulty depends on how many chains you want. A simple single chain looks pretty easy because it's just a 9-patch block alternated with a plain square. There's a good example with an easy to understand pattern on the simplicity website:

A double Irish chain gets more complicated with a 25-patch block alternating with a different block with squares in the corners but it's very pretty:

If you're feeling really daring there was a pattern for a triple Irish chain on the moda bakeshop a while ago. It uses a honeybun so cuts down on a lot of strip cutting:

Good luck if you decide to have a go and let us all know how it goes
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you for the web sites Ms. Chapman. The first one looks pretty easy. Thanks again.
      Hugs, Jan
      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

This is my King Size Irish Chain (when i made this top - i did not know I was making an actual pattern - i just thought a zig zag pattern would be fun!) Very quick and easy..... Hugs, Suzi
        Attached Files
        Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
        hugs, Suzi
        http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
        it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

Originally posted by jrchapman View Post
          I haven't tried one yet but I think the difficulty depends on how many chains you want. A simple single chain looks pretty easy because it's just a 9-patch block alternated with a plain square. There's a good example with an easy to understand pattern on the simplicity website:

A double Irish chain gets more complicated with a 25-patch block alternating with a different block with squares in the corners but it's very pretty:

If you're feeling really daring there was a pattern for a triple Irish chain on the moda bakeshop a while ago. It uses a honeybun so cuts down on a lot of strip cutting:

Good luck if you decide to have a go and let us all know how it goes

I've been waaay too intimidated to try this one but the fist quilt, green and white, you make it look SO easy so I will definitely give THAT one a go! My fav is the 3rd one, that'll be a few years before I have a go at that one Thank you for this one, Mrs.!
          *HUGS* and Alohas, Bridgette

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Unknown

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!" - Unknown

Blog
          http://hapamomquilts.blogspot.com

Comment

Wow Thank you for the reponse with the pictures. I love the green one and after I finiish my current quilt that will be my next. I really like the third one as well but I am not ready for that yet....someday hopefully!
            sigpic
            Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Comment

Working...
            X