Machine Quilting Beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine Quilting Beginner

Any tips or techniques to help me with machine quilting? I used Press 'n Seal with the design traced on to it & stitched over it, but it pulled stitches loose when I removed it -- so I'm looking for other hints!!

Re: Machine Quilting Beginner

Originally posted by copehome View Post
    Any tips or techniques to help me with machine quilting? I used Press 'n Seal with the design traced on to it & stitched over it, but it pulled stitches loose when I removed it -- so I'm looking for other hints!!
    I've got plenty of quilt projects started and done but it scares me to think about the quilting part. On small projects, I just draw a design with chalk and hand sew it but I've really got to practice on quiltling part on my machine. Thanks for letting me know about the press and seal problem.
    Lynn

Comment

Did you try smaller stitches? Very small stitches might help to make it easier to rip. (just a trip I use in paper piecing. I've never used press n' seal for quilting. I may have to try that!)

Comment

I am in the middle of a machine quilting class. We are learning how to use the chalk and sew method. This is the easiest (IMO). You should also shorten your stitch length when you are stopping anywhere inside the quilt.
        Michele

Comment

It's great to get a completed quilt top and then make the decision on how to quilt it. I'm still contemplating on how to quilt mine....hand, machine or sending it off, but it is really fun!

Comment

I've never tried the Press n' Seal - sounds interesting tho. Do you free motion quilt on it?
            I have mostly hand quilted all my previous qulits but just did my first machine quilting on a baby quilt with my new walking foot. Sure loved that tool! I am just putting the borders on my next quilt and plan to just use the walking foot again. I want to do some small holiday projects to practice some free motion quilting. Thanks for starting this thread as the tips are sure to help!
            Patti
            "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Patticakes - yep, I free motioned it (it was just a pillow top) after tracing the pattern onto the Press 'n Seal - (does that still qualify as free motion???!!!!) but I have since learned that I probably should have shortened my stitch length a little, as well as tighten my tension a bit. Maybe the stitch would not have pulled loose like a few did.

Comment

I teach free motion machine quilting at my local quilt shop. The most important things I can impart to the students are:
                • Relaxation - most people tense up almost immediately and they lose the ability to free motion easily
                • Acceptance - your first few quilts will NOT be show quality enjoy yourself and have fun and be proud of what you've accomplished
                • PRACTICE - lots and lots of practice. And then more practice.

I've used the stretch and seal and while it is great for not moving around on you removing it can cause some issues as you found. Smaller stitches will help.
                I find that when I'm doing specific motifs then chalking is the easiest. I've also been known to make my own '4 layer freezer paper' template and spray it with temporary adhesive and stitch around it. Works well too!

Golden Threads paper works great for motifs too. When I've used it I just pin it in place, using temp. adhesive to keep it on the quilt sometimes makes it hard to remove the little bits.

Have fun!
                Shawn
                BAILEY'S QUILTING HEADQUARTERS - Superior Quilting Threads!

Comment

I just bought my free-motion foot yesterday and can't wait to try it. Thanks for this blog I hope to learn as much as I can . My first quilt which I haven't finished yet, I have used freezer paper for a template of a star. I press it where I want to sew it and then pin it some, then sew. When I am finished sewing it I just peel it off easily and press it on again somewhere else.. If I sew on the paper it comes off easily. I like that better than spraying something on my fabric.
                  Saundra

God bless the USA!
                  Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

I took a class from a gal that does amazing quilts. She uses a pen you get at quilt shops that is a blue marker that when you spray over it and dab or wipe with a wet sponge it disappears. I got the pen but have not used it yet. I saw a gal in a video blog used it and it looks like it works like a charm. The gal did warn though that you have to get it out before you wash it as the detergent will make it permanent.
                    Julie

Comment

I love doing the quilting part of my quilts but I do not like marking...it takes too long. I want to just get to the stitching. It takes lots of practice but I just do free motion without any marks. I keep the designs simple and they certainly aren't perfect or uniform like they are with a long arm but they look nice and I did it myself!! I have a Bernina and use the BSR foot which really helps keep regulate the stitches.

Some tips I've learned:

- Relax and take your time; I've found the slower I go the better the results
                      - Work on small portions at a time; don't try to tackle the whole quilt in one sitting
                      - I use glycerin on my hands to grip the fabric better
                      - I love using the Monopoly thread for my quilting; it stitches nicely and because it is clear, it hides lots of mistakes!
                      - I use the Supreme Slider to help the fabric slide easily
                      - Oh, and RELAX your shoulders! At first, I hunched my shoulders and crimped my toes and I hurt after an hour of quilting....

Unless your quilts are for shows, they will be great. I know there are mistakes and my stitches are perfect but for my purposes, they are awesome! And the recipients of the quilts I give as gifts, think they are fabulous!

HAVE FUN!

Comment

I agree with the above post. I've only been quilting for 3-1/2 years, and just LOVE free motion quilting. I do keep my designs simple, and love LOVE the way they come out. I, too, have to remind myself to lower my shoulders and relax. I put on some of my favorite music and go at it!

I did buy that Supreme Slider (not inexpensive, either), and found the fabric moved better without it! Maybe it's just me. the lady at the fabric store swore by it!

Oh, and I wear the quilting gloves for a good grip. I've learned to make sure I use the "needle down" position, and do try to go slow! Sometimes I keep a book open with a pattern I want to use (or I draw the design I want to quilt) and keep glancing at it.

Practice practice practice!

Comment

Working...
                        X