Denim Rag Quilt Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denim Rag Quilt Help!!

I want to make a denim rag quilt with a cowboy theme on the front. I am using old jeans and I am not sure how big the square should be. I am looking for some suggestions on how big to make the squares and any suggestions on how much it should rag (sewing 1/2 inch or 1 inch). What size do you think Jenny made her denim quilt squares? Any help would be appreciated! I have attached a picture of the material I plan on using for the front.
    Attached Files
    Don't worry if the sleeves are too long, you'll find they'll ride up with wear.

Re: Denim Rag Quilt Help!!

Hello!

Your fabric choices are great for a denim rag quilt! I have sewn many rag quilts, and I dont think they were ever the same!

First, how big are the jeans? How big of pieces can you get out of them? It really doesn't matter the size of square, so I would determine best use of your jeans.

For the sewing, once again, how much rag do you want? I always sewed 1/2 inch, ragged at 1/4; but taught my beginning students sew 1" to give them extra space to rag. But, that makes your squares smaller.

My recommendation...I'd say cut 6" squares, sew at 1" which will make finished block size 5" and plenty of rag room to cut!

<3~hillbilly~<3

Comment

I agree with hillbilly, your fabric choices are wonderful! Can't wait to see it when it's finished!

Don't know if it will help, but... I'm in the process of making a rag quilt with my old jeans as the back. Back when I was tiny (size 1), my jeans were small. I was only able to get a 5" square out of them. I ordered 5" precut homespun for the top. I'm sewing 1/2" all around for the ragging because my squares are smaller and I don't want them "hidden" by the ragging. I've ended up with 15 squares across and 20 squares down for a complete size of 60" by 80", 300 total squares.

I would suggest taking the smallest pair of jeans and seeing what the biggest piece you can get out of the knee is and go with that. This way, you can get lots of squares out of your denim.

Good luck to ya!

Comment

I love your material! Is there a video about a denim rug? I can't find it. Don't understand how you use the denim.

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door!
        Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

Found the video! LOoooove the idea!!! Sunshine your material is perfect!

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!
          Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
          X