Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T-Shirt Quilt/Wallhanging

Hi everyone!
    I have my first opportunity to make some $$ using my passion for quilting!! A friend of a friend wants a T-Shirt quilt to use as a wall hanging. I have discussed what I have in mind and he is so excited but I have never made a T-Shirt Quilt. Anyone have any experienced hints for me???
    Thanks!
    Patti
    Patti
    "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Re: T-Shirt Quilt/Wallhanging

Well, since I just came upstairs from my basement workshop for a snack, and I currently making a t-shirt quilt, I'll jump in.

First of all, you need to back the t's with fusible medium weight stabilizer. And all t's need sashed as well. Thank goodness you don't have to use t's on the back as my customer wants, or you'd be hand tying as I am going to have to do. I also use a larger seem allowance than normal.

Mine should be done by the first of next week, I'll post photos.

Comment

Originally posted by patticakes View Post
      Anyone have any experienced hints for me???
      A friend just made a very nice one where she cut half the t-shirt blocks to either 12 and half to 15 inches and sashed the 12 inch ones to a 15 inch size. She then alternated sashed with unsashed blocks. It made a very nice quilt and she commented that she was never trying to sew knit to knit. Also the print of the sashing fabric kind of tied the whole thing together without the extra fabric adding too much to the overall size. Hope this help

Comment

Thanks for the good information!
        He wants the t-shirts with sashing for sure. Nothing too crazy with the fabric because he wants the t's to stand out. I have to get the shirts from him yet so fabric choice will wait til then.
        The quilting part is puzzling me also cuz I am not sure whether to quilt on the t-shirt part. Think I will try to find a tutorial out there.
        Thanks again!
        Patti
        "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Originally posted by patticakes View Post
          The quilting part is puzzling me also cuz I am not sure whether to quilt on the t-shirt part. Think I will try to find a tutorial out there.
          Thanks again!
          I too, didn't want to quilt right on the t shirts. On another t-shirt quilt that I made, I machine quilted in the ditch around the sashing then hand tied the shirts. They are too big (at 12-15 inches) to not do something. I would fear them sagging after time if this is going to be a wall hanging.

Comment

I'll try to post one of the quilts I did using both t'shirts and regular fabric cut from clothing.
            If you are going to press the t'shirts at all, make sure you put another fabric over the top of the t'shirt before pressing - sometimes the design just disappears right off the t'shirt if you don't.

I just quilted around the inside of each block for the quilting.

Good luck!

Hugs,
            quilting trish
            Attached Files
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
            http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
            http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Working...
            X