PLEASE help!! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLEASE help!! :)

I'm a new quilter and recently purchased a kit from my local quilt shop. I cut all of my fabric according to the pattern, layed out the squares according to where I want to put them, sat down to sew... and now I'm not sure how to do it. lol. I'm attaching a link to a picture of a similar quilt. What I'm having problems with, is how and where to start it. I thought about starting at a corner, but there is what I think is a seam allowance. Do I sew the corner triangle onto the full square in the corner? But then I'm not sure about the two triangle on the left and the right of the square. I'm not expressing what my problem is very well.... lol. But, hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about! Yikes!

http://www.honeysucklepatchwork.com....d&productId=46
    "It's not just about creativity; It is about the person you're becoming while you're creating."
    -Charlie Peacock

Re: PLEASE help!!

Originally posted by JenniGirl View Post
    I'm a new quilter and recently purchased a kit from my local quilt shop. I cut all of my fabric according to the pattern, layed out the squares according to where I want to put them, sat down to sew... and now I'm not sure how to do it. lol. I'm attaching a link to a picture of a similar quilt. What I'm having problems with, is how and where to start it. I thought about starting at a corner, but there is what I think is a seam allowance. Do I sew the corner triangle onto the full square in the corner? But then I'm not sure about the two triangle on the left and the right of the square. I'm not expressing what my problem is very well.... lol. But, hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about! Yikes!

http://www.honeysucklepatchwork.com....d&productId=46
    Well, I'm not an expert(and definitely take advice of others), but from what I can see on this pattern, I would just sew the squares together into strips, then sew the strips together then add the triangles or actually you could add the triangles at the end of the strips....whichever is easier for you ! I've actually never done this pattern before and maybe someone can comment that has but that's how I see it ! good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by kelandspence View Post
      Well, I'm not an expert(and definitely take advice of others), but from what I can see on this pattern, I would just sew the squares together into strips, then sew the strips together then add the triangles or actually you could add the triangles at the end of the strips....whichever is easier for you ! I've actually never done this pattern before and maybe someone can comment that has but that's how I see it ! good luck !
      SORRY.... tried to edit that but couldn't.... I would definitely sew the squares together into strips then add the triangles at the end then sew the strips together ! That's how I would do it if I didn't have instructions ! that's just my input.... maybe someone who has made this quilt will comment ! Good Luck !

Comment

I agree with Kalendspence. Sew your diagonal rows. triangle,square,triangle for the first row. Triangle, square,square,square,triangle for the second row etc.... Then sew your rows together, add your end triangles and voila! You are done.

Comment

I would definitely add the triangles to the ends of the strips if you wait you will have y seams to sew! Yuck!
          If you sew the side of the triangle to the end of the diagonal strip (having it laid out will help you know which triangle goes on which end and which side of the triangle to sew.) then all you will have is straight seams, and square it up at the end! Don't worry about the 1/4 inch seam allowance the cutting instructions usually allow for that.
          I can't wait to see it finished and I'm wondering if you know what kind of fabric you have?

Let us know if you have any more questions as you go along! Have fun it's a great quilt!
          To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

Working...
          X