Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

using starch makes piecing fabric a breeze!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using starch makes piecing fabric a breeze!

Somewhere I heard or read that preparing the fabric by ironing with starch makes cutting and piecing much easier. (It's a simple method for stabilizing the fabric.) I decided to give it a try. I'm sold!!!

After washing and drying the fabric, I folded it in half lengthwise, wrong sides together. Then opened it up on my ironing board and generously sprayed starch on the wrong side of the fabric. Folding it first and reopening it to spray the wrong side keeps the starch on the fabric and not the ironing board cover. It also keeps the iron clean - no starch buildup.

I decided to check out u-tube for "how to make your own starch." Voila!!! 1 Tbs. cornstarch mixed with a pint of water added to a spray bottle and you're good to go. Haven't tried it yet since I just bought a can of spray. However, it seems like a great idea. Cheap and better for the environment. Evidently, that's where the word starch comes from "cornstarch." Go figure!!! LOL
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Re: using starch makes piecing fabric a breeze!

I love using my Mary Ellen's Best Press! It sure does make ironing so much easier. I like it better than the regular starch because 1. it comes in a reuseable/refillable trigger spray bottle 2. doesn't leave white residue on my dark fabrics like traditional starch does (i.e. no starch buildup either!) 3. it comes in a bunch of wonderful scents (linen fresh is my favorite) and also an unscented version which, has absolutely no scent at all. I thought it would have even a lil chemical type scent.. but nothing. Doesn't the starch just make your rotary cutter blade just gliiiiiide right thru the fabric? Man, I could go on and on about how much I love using my Mary Ellens!

Comment

I try very hard not to work with any flannel fabrics unless I have a starch can close by!! It helps with stabalizing, sizing and the accuracy of my rotary cutting/etc... But, there is a point of no return...actually to much starch can build up in the fabric...and make the whole quilt to stiff when you are trying to work on it. I also will use starch or sizing for my other quilting cottons...
      Loved the recipe for home made starch..I'm going to try it, soon! Actually...isn't everything better home made??!
      Happy 4th of July weekend everyone!! From the Place with the Faces!! (Mt. Rushmore!!)

Comment

I was told by a quilting teacher that using Maryellen's spray is better because starch has an amount of sugar in it. And if you put your quilt away it can get silverfish because of the sugar and they can leave holes in your quilt. I don't know if thats true or not. Has anyone else heard of that?
        Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Working...
        X