Was looking for some bead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was looking for some bead

I wanted to incorporate some beads into a project I was going to work on. I think I spend a whole 1/2 day doing that. Very frustrating. Every time I'd find something I liked it appeared it was going to be shipped from outside the States. I haven't done things with bead in eons so I really don't know the reliable outlets in the States.

Anyway I finally saw this place it appears to have some things I might be interested in. It's https://www.firemountaingems.com I did place a very small order just to see how I like them. Has anyone used them or do you have a bead supplier you like and go to?
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Re: Was looking for some bead

Before I was a quilt fabric junkie, I was a Fire Mountains Bead junkie! Great prices and amazing selection! I have a whole closet of bead making stuff that I no longer use.

Comment

I have a friend who orders from them frequently and recommends them. I've looked at their site and they have a nice selection, and prices seem good as I recall. I haven't personally placed an order though.

Comment

I've hard of them. I've also heard of Caravan Beads in Maine. I am going to try to get to their store when I'm back up there.

Comment

My mom used to run a bead shop and would get some of her supplies from Fire Mountain Gems.

My sister runs a beads of the month club type thing, not sure if she still uses them as a supplier.

Comment

I buy beads and Swarovski heat-set crystals from Fire Mountain. They are a good company.

From 1969-1971 I worked as a professional beader for a well known costumer in Las Vegas. I did a gorgeous gown for Diana Ross that must have had 20 pounds of gold bugle beads on it. I also did a lot of beading for mens jackets and sometimes for dancers. After two years my eyes and neck were giving me so much trouble I quit that job.

Beads add such a special touch to anything they are applied to.'s slow work but rewarding when it's done. It Good luck with your project!
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

What a fascinating job! You didn't save a picture of that gown to share did you???? :-)
              Women are Angels.
              When someone
              break's our wings
              we will continue to
              fly...usually on a
              broomstick.
              - embroitique

Comment

Yes, please share! We'd love to see your work.
                Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGramma View Post
                  Yes, please share! We'd love to see your work.
                  Sorry, I didn't take a picture. That was decades ago. All remember thinking that the dress outweighed Ms Ross. After each 2 bugle beads I knotted the thread so if there is a break bugle beads don't go everywhere. I used to be able to do that by feel...now I would have trouble doing it even if I could see it...lol! I have done a huge amount of hand sewing in my time. Heirloom sewing used to be my passion. Then came doing portraits in x-stitch, but quilting has always been my constant love.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I've used SJ Designs but it is way more expensive than Fire Mountain or Oriental Trading.com

https://sj-designs.net/shop/

I only had one problem with Fire Mountain. It was supposed to be glass beads in the shape of doves. At the time I was making prayer beads so I thought a dove would be a nice symbol of the Holy Spirit. When I got the beads, they were chickens with a wattle on them! lol The Holy Chicken! They reimbursed me...lol

Comment

HaHa, big difference between doves and wattle chickens LOL (although I do think God has a sense of humor!) Who knows, they may make a great conversation piece in Church and out :-)
                      Women are Angels.
                      When someone
                      break's our wings
                      we will continue to
                      fly...usually on a
                      broomstick.
                      - embroitique

Comment

Wow, Barb, being a professional beader! I sewed about 5,500 beads on my wedding dress. I remember sitting for 8 hours one day, doing nothing but sewing beads. I can't imagine what it's like to do that all day, every day. Especially if you have to knot the thread after every couple of beads. I am in awe.

Comment

I have ordered from Fire Mountain, and had good results. I used to love to make jewelry, but found there was not a good market for it in this area. Now that I am Ms Fumble Fingers, it takes me an hour to do what I used to do in 5 minutes, so jewelry making is not fun.
                          But don't you love to find out what talented folks we have on this forum? I feel the same way when I discover that a neighbor I have known for years was a nationally known fiddle maker, or has authored many books.
                          I guess everyone is amazing in their own way.

Comment

When I was doing beading, I also ordered from Fire Mountain and I was never disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                            X