WOOL! now at MSQC!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOOL! now at MSQC!

With the recent discussions on finding good wool, MSQC must be listening and this is one of their new items?
    It says 100% wool.
    I am going to order some to check it out and get a variety of colors as mine are very limited!

In regards to those who have bought wool items at thrift shops and had a hard time to felt it, I have some news from my mom who makes these all the time! She says she boils down the wool clothing in a large pot on her stove. I am going to talk to her again later today so I will get the exact details of this process. She says sometimes she even just washes some items in her washing machine or dishwasher on hot without soap. She says she has never had an issue with it.

MSQC wool link: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...ors-layer-cake

They also have a fat quarter bundle.

wool 1.jpgwool 2.jpg
    Just finished another one, but it is a gift so cannot post a picture at this time.
    Last edited by bhaggerty; August 27, 2016, 09:52 AM.
    Happy Quilting!

Re: WOOL! now at MSQC!

Those are beautiful, and they look fun to make. Modern doilies

Comment

Thanks for the info. I do wool candle mats for seasonal swaps with QATW. Another great site to purchase wool at pretty good prices!! Your mats are beautiful.
      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Oh, I went in that shop last week when I was up in Hamilton and their wools and flannels are sooooo gorgeous! At $39.99 a yard, I had to pass on the wools, but I did buy a yummy Moda flannel for backing for a winter quilt! It is such a wonderful shop! The candle mats are really cute!

Comment

I'm looking forward to visiting the store in a month to see all the lovely wool. It is terribly expensive, isn't it?

I found a site, http://prairiewoolens.com/, that has a lot of colors. They have packs of wool felts. Is that the same as what you use?

I bought some of the wool candle mat kits and love making them. You've seen my photos in this post http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?t=64789

So I did go to the thrift store and found a 100% wool jacket. Bought it for $4.00 but haven't fulled it yet. Fulling is the process your mom does - wash it in hot hot water and a hot dryer. I just have too much going on right now. Maybe after my trip. I'm hoping to find some more wool clothing on my trip where wool is worn more often.

Comment

Yes, by the yard it is pricey compared to cotton at $35/yard.
            If you go to the website, I think they have it priced wrong (too good) for the layer cake but not the fat quarter bundle
            It says a layer cake of 42 squares of 100% wool for a normal layer cake price ($40) and a fat quarter bundle of wool (10 pieces) priced very high at $95
            I wonder if it is a misprint and the layer cake does not really have 42 pieces?
            Last edited by bhaggerty; August 27, 2016, 10:13 PM.
            Happy Quilting!

Comment

Originally posted by bhaggerty View Post
              Yes, by the yard it is pricey compared to cotton at $35/yard.
              If you go to the website, I think they have it priced wrong (too good) for the layer cake but not the fat quarter bundle
              It says a layer cake of 42 squares of 100% wool for a normal layer cake price ($40) and a fat quarter bundle of wool (10 pieces) priced very high at $95
              I wonder if it is a misprint and the layer cake does not really have 42 pieces?
              I saw that too and wondered if the layer cake was really just $40. But they have other wool layer cakes and they are also $40, so if it's an error, they did it for all their wool layer cakes.

I dunno, but when I saw the cheap price, I bought it! I might just buy another .....

EDIT TO ADD: oops, the other two layer cakes are Wool & Needle Flannels, so not wool, but flannel. Still I'm buying the wool one!
              Last edited by snippet; August 27, 2016, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I noticed about 6 months ago my LAQS had moda wool by the yard. Very nice quality! But that is why I like moda.
                Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Question: When you boil the wool yourself and dry it in the dryer, doesn't it shrink up a whole lot? So, I'm picturing a yard shrinking up to 1/2 yard or so.
                  I am Sew Blessed!
                  Alina

Comment

Originally posted by amartin24 View Post
                    Question: When you boil the wool yourself and dry it in the dryer, doesn't it shrink up a whole lot? So, I'm picturing a yard shrinking up to 1/2 yard or so.
                    Yes it will shrink. I don't know how much as I haven't done it yet. It's supposed to create a denser fabric that won't ravel.

Comment

No, not a half yard in a yard........I've seen maybe 4-5 inches shrinkage, but I'm still fairly new at the felting process. I do mine in the washer and dryer (also have done some on stovetop boiling in a big pot, but never have seen that much shrinkage.
                      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by cv quilter View Post
                        No, not a half yard in a yard........I've seen maybe 4-5 inches shrinkage, but I'm still fairly new at the felting process. I do mine in the washer and dryer (also have done some on stovetop boiling in a big pot, but never have seen that much shrinkage.
                        Thanks! I'm glad it doesn't shrink as much as I thought, especially how expensive it is! I love the look of felted wool projects though and really want to do this!
                        I am Sew Blessed!
                        Alina

Comment

I just bought a beautiful pattern called "The Last Marigold" by JoAnn Hoffman. It is a 42" circle table topper with elephants on it. Very East Indian-ish. I was thinking of making it in wool but the cost was going to be prohibitive. Then I was searching Ebay for a sweater and saw how many wool capes and blankets they had. Is there any reason I couldn't use one for the table topper?
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X