Bag/purse straps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bag/purse straps

This is a cool site. It has a lot of ways to do bag/purse straps.

ikat bag
    "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Re: Bag/purse straps

Thank you very much. I just made a few bags and had trouble with the tube turning strap technique. Loads of examples here to make yourself . I spent a lot n premade strapping. Will make more myself from now on. Thanks for the link.

Comment

ikat is one of the most amazing sites for patterns of all kinds. I'm constantly amazed at her work! Thanks for this link.
      ~Louise

What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
      George Eliot

Comment

What a wonderful site! I don't want to get involved with fancy bags - just simple shapes to use up my experimental modern quilting samples. And bag-wise - I don't have much luck with reinventing the wheel.

Comment

I do all my straps the same way. Here is what I do....

We will pretend the strap piece you have cut is 4" wide. Once the interfacing has been adhered, take a Frixion pen or chalk marker and draw a line from end to end down the center (at the 2" mark). Take this to your ironing board and fold one edge to the center drawn line and press as you go. Flip and do the same for the other side.

Once both edges are pressed, take it to your sewing machine and fold it in half so you now have a piece that is 1" wide. If you want, you can press it first, prior to sewing. I first stitch down the edge w/out the folded edge and stitch close to the edge. Now, I press it and stitch down the other edge. I then go back and put another line of stitching about 1/8" away from the first line, repeating on the other side.

If the straps are not being set into a seam, you can fold the ends in 1/2" prior to the pressing and stitching so the raw edges are hidden.

No turning is needed and they turn out great everytime!
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

This is exactly how I did some straps today. They turned out lovely and sturdy. SO much easier than the tube turning I tried. But gave up on last week. Instead of drawing a line down a long length you can just iron in half lenght ways first. Then open and fold. into that middle pressed mark. QUOTE=bubba;724613]I do all my straps the same way. Here is what I do....

We will pretend the strap piece you have cut is 4" wide. Once the interfacing has been adhered, take a Frixion pen or chalk marker and draw a line from end to end down the center (at the 2" mark). Take this to your ironing board and fold one edge to the center drawn line and press as you go. Flip and do the same for the other side.

Once both edges are pressed, take it to your sewing machine and fold it in half so you now have a piece that is 1" wide. If you want, you can press it first, prior to sewing. I first stitch down the edge w/out the folded edge and stitch close to the edge. Now, I press it and stitch down the other edge. I then go back and put another line of stitching about 1/8" away from the first line, repeating on the other side.

If the straps are not being set into a seam, you can fold the ends in 1/2" prior to the pressing and stitching so the raw edges are hidden.

No turning is needed and they turn out great everytime![/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
            X