Anyone else interested in sewing rooms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else interested in sewing rooms?

I just got my very own room to sew in and wanted to see what other people had come up with for storage ideas, decor, and all that stuff. Found a neat listing at http://www.younge.com/sewing%20rooms.htm
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Re: Anyone else interested in sewing rooms?

wow some spaces are just right. great post.. i'll be back. Gina from Mpls.
    all the best
    Gina

Comment

I am so jealous!!! Some of those rooms literally made me drool.
      Quilting through the dull times
      northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Yea, you caught my attention. I have been VERY interested in sewing rooms. Mine is getting a redo in the spring when my husband has more time. I was paying attention to the post about stash storage, but the link you listed has way more pictures then the post on here. Thank you for posting it!

I have been leaning more toward cubes rather then shelves this time. I will still have some shelves, but I definitely want cubes. ops: Think of the game dominoes with me and shelves. ops: Now, what size of cubes to pick? Hmmmm..... I don't know. Shelves were adjustable in size and cubes won't be so I have no clue. Any recommendations for size?
        My user name is FunkiQuilter, but you can call me Funki for short. (Pronounced Funky.) I inherited the name from my cousin because of my love for unusual things.

Comment

Right now my sewing space is the kitchen table. We are playing with our budget to figure out ways to save for a rent to own or a for sale by owner/owner holds the mortgage.

I would like to have one wall devoted to fabric stashes, a nice area for cutting pieces and another for laying out my blocks to keep it straight until its time to put it all together. A place on a wall to organize and hang my rulers and such to keep them handy. And I guess I shouldn't leave out the ironing board

Vicki L

Comment

Well, it's 14 months since I posted this. Anyone out there have a good or bad year with your sewing space?

I had a good year in that I had a room to myself, so projects could be left out. I had a "bad" year in that we couldn't do anything to improve the space - but on the other hand I know now just where I want everything, after a year spent experimenting.

I'd welcome any suggestions at all, and I'll post before and after pics for anyone else interested in sewing spaces. The link I posted back in October of 2009 still works, so if you haven't visted it, do! Lots of eye candy and ideas. I'm in love with a purple and white room in one of the listings, but I don't think I dare do it...

I may well have another year to plan my room :-) but it's fun to dream.

Deb
            There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

My sewing space is about 7 ft by 3 ft but I sure accomplish alot in it. Dreaming of the day I could have a whole room!
              Patti
              "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Thanks Deb for the links what fun to look and wish. I'm having trouble right now with to much stash well not really just no where to keep it. I need all the help I can get. My room is so full I don't want to go in. But gotta sew. Thanks for the links maybe I'll find a solution but lets wait till after Christmas when I don't have so much to do.
                Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

I am getting ready to expand my sewing room . . . actually I'm moving it down the hall into our relatively unused family room. I have really enjoyed looking at the links posted here.

My big question to everyone is: What do you wish you had in your sewing room? I am in a position where I can pretty much do what I want with this new space and it is quite large. I just don't want to leave out something that would make the area ideal.

What would you want in a sewing room?
                  Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                  it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Easy...a VERY LARGE design wall, something to fit a king size plus some.
                    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I must wipe the drool off my face now. Love looking at sewing rooms. Still need to get some flannel and put up a design wall.
                      Patrice

Comment

Only clicked on a few of the rooms - makes me dream, that's for sure.
                        My sewing area hasn't changed - I sew at the dining room table and store my things in my bedroom and basement. Until we would redo the basement with getting rid of the garage door and putting heat down there or one of the kids move out (Odie's room is in the basement but too small to convert anyway) nothing much will change here. I'm just glad I have a table to sew on!

I'm sure putting it all in one place would help to make me want to sew more though - someday.

Hugs,
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                        http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                        http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Originally posted by debinmalaga View Post
                          I just got my very own room to sew in and wanted to see what other people had come up with for storage ideas, decor, and all that stuff. Found a neat listing at http://www.younge.com/sewing%20rooms.htm
                          This is a great site. Me and my husband turned our attached garage into a sewing room for me about 3 years ago. I bought an antique dresser and used our old countertop as a cutting table. It is about 7 feet long and all it cost me was the $40.00 that I gave for the dresser. It is perfect. I hang my templates on the back side of the dresser and of course use the drawers for storage. We put a closet in this room as well. I have an antique desk I have had for years as my sewing table that I have sitting in front of the window. I purchased a professional magazine rack for $10.00 at a yard sale that holds all of my quilting books. The only problem I have is all my fabric is in huge totes ;7 of them; slid under my long arm. I despirately need shelving or littler totes to sort and fold all this fabric.
                          Thanks for posting this site.

Comment

RFREE, I'd love to see pictures of your sewing room! I took pictures of mine the other day and posted them in my album on this site, just so I now have "before" pictures... even if it's years away from having "after" ones! My room isn't pretty or big, and I have to share space with my treadmill, but it works for now and it's mine, all mine :-). But my darling Mike is full of plans for it, once time and money permit it'll be fun to take what I've learned and make my space what I want it to be.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Deb, Nice to have such a wonderful window to sew by. Who's your buddy under the table? Shirley
                              Last edited by Shirley; December 28, 2010, 08:08 PM.
                              Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Working...
                              X