Machine Quilting TIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine Quilting TIP

I have been spending a bit of time reading another forum and ran across this:

"Karen Kay Buckley, who teaches in this area, quilts her bigger quilts in three sections. I believe she said she cuts the batting in three sections, rolls the right third of the top, quilts the center section. She stitches the batting together, gets everything flat and then stitches the right third. She adds the left section last, turns the quilt about and then quilts the remaining third. -- AND when you see her work, you cannot detect that it was not all done at one time."

So, I said to myself, "Sandy (sometimes I call myself that), you could easily do this. Why didn't YOU think of removing the batting when machine quilting?"

Now how COOL is that?
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Re: Machine Quilting TIP

Just yesterday I was at my LQS and saw some iron on tape at used for piecing batting scraps together to get enough for a full quilt. I bet that tape would work great with the method you just described.
    ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

What a great idea! I haven't attempted FMQ on anything larger than a small wallhanging...but I'll have to remember this tip IF I decide to try something bigger!!
      ~Mary
      As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

Interesting concept. Might have to give that a try sometime.
        When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Hey, that sounds neat, Sandy. Will have to give it a whirl!

Comment

Perfect timing! I'm getting VERY close to having a queen sized top done and I plan to machine quilt it on my Singer, but I've been a bit nervous about handling a quilt of this size in such a small throat. This is perfect! I'm totally going to try this and I'll let you all know how it goes!
            Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
            Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

Thanks for that info, Sandy. It's worth a try. It sounds logical too.
              sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

I bought two rolls of the iron on tape for joining your batting about 3 weeks ago. Haven't had the chance to try it yet, but some of my friends love it. I only wonder how long the tape will hold. This wouldn't be an issue if my FMQ was stitched tightly but on those instances when I stitch big loops or stipple. Anyone know? I have a book [somewhere in my room] called Quilting in Sections that describes the process exactly as being in three sections.
                Susan

Comment

Interesting...Veryyyy I-N-T-E-R-E-S-T-I-N-G.
                  Thank-U Both Susans for sharing bout the site and Book.
                  LOL....Susan M... that was funny cause I'm doing Spring Cleaning in my sewing room(It's nice to know were everything is...... for one day)I'm bushed
                  Nite Ladies
                  :icon_popcorn:~When life throws you scraps make a quilt.~

Comment

Working...
                  X