Fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabric

A short while ago there was a discussion on fabric and the costs. For those of us looking for a sale.....try http://www.quilt-this.com/

I ordered a bunch of fabric for $4+ to $5+ a yard. Go to their sale section of the catalog. I've ordered from them before and this is quilt shop fabric. If you order, on the first page of your order form during the checkout, insert FREESHIP in the coupon section. Your order will ship free of charge.
    Susan

Re: Fabric

This is definitely gonna be a bookmark site for me. Thanks for sharing!
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Wow! Thanks Susan.
      Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

nice selection, thanks for the link.
        Last edited by bakermom; June 1, 2011, 09:15 AM.
        β€œWhat we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Thanks, Susan. I put this one on my desktop!
          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Talking of fabric, any good sites to get the WIDE fabric for backing? The above site only had the one wide fabric. I have three quilts that need backing and would like to find a deal!
            JVO

Comment

Will definitely check out this site. You know what we quilters say...."don't really need any fabric, but there is no harm in looking"!

Comment

JVO.... I meant to add this to my note for a site with backing fabric. Thousandsofbolts I have only ordered regular material from there and it was very nice, fabric quality, so I would imagine the backing would be equally as nice. Happy quilting!

Comment

I've ordered 108" wide fabric from MSQC as well as from www.fabricdepot.com

This is another I've looked at http://www.backsidefabrics.com/
                  K is for Karen πŸ˜Šβ€‹..................
                  Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

Comment

I've ordered from thousandsofbolts.com and the above sites that Karen listed. They are all good quality fabric. As long as MSQC doesn't mind my doing this, I can list sales as they come across my laptop. I'll keep a watch out for the wide fabric backing.
                    Susan

Comment

Thanks for the links. I have checked MSQC, but I could only find a few colours (red, black Ivory & brown), not what I was looking for. Not unless I missed some! I guess the other thought I am having is how close are the real colours to the pictures? I would hate to buy backing for 3 quilts and fine out the colours are way off. I have never ordered fabric on line before. Let me know if this is a problem.
                      JVO

Comment

Most everything I've ordered was right on as far as colors of the actual fabric vs. the pictures on the website. I got a great gold from MSQC that matched what I was doing perfectly. They seem to get new fabrics in all the time. That's where I found the wide fabrics and there were more colors than what you had listed, so maybe check new arrivals to find more.

Before you speak,
                        T - is it TRUE?
                        H - is it HELPFUL?
                        I - is it INSPIRING?
                        N - is it NECESSARY?
                        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Right now Hancocks of Paducah is having a batik sale. They also show their backings on sale as well. I've never ordered the wide backings so I am curious as how good a deal this really is. Please let me know. Just be careful in ordering from Hancocks as the price is usually per HALF YARD.

As far as the colors online. It can be misleading especially if the description is vague. I usually read the description carefully and if I am interested and place an order, I always put a notation in the comments section to call me if the color is not blue or not purple, etc. They normally will call. You can always call them and ask before placing the order.

Here is the link for Hancocks.
                          http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...ng-Sale--m-639
                          Susan

Comment

In buying wide backing for a queen size quilt aprox 86x94 how many yards do you buy if the backing 108"? I cann't seem to figure it out never bought wide fabric before. Thanks Jan G
                            Jan G :icon_wave:

THE HURRIER I GO,
                            THE BEHINDER I GET!!!!
                            :lol:

Comment

The purpose of buying 108" backing is so that your back has no seams. You could lay your queen size quilt across the grain of the fabric and have the 94" come out of the 108". You would still need to buy enough to make the 86" plus whatever extra allowance you need. I think a lot of long arm quilters need an 8" allowance to feed the machine. Your quilt at 86" would work on 2 and a half yards (90") but that would only give you 2 inches of play on either side. I would probably buy 2 and 3/4 yards just to be safe.

You would also end up with a piece of material about a foot wide and 2 and 3/4 yard long of extra fabric.

Before you speak,
                              T - is it TRUE?
                              H - is it HELPFUL?
                              I - is it INSPIRING?
                              N - is it NECESSARY?
                              K - is it KIND?

Comment

Working...
                              X