Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bias Binding and Machine application of binding by Lori Baker

http://www.qnntv.com/videos/0092_qnc...th-lori-baker/

I decided to watch this thinking I wouldn't learn anything new, however, I found her technique for joining binding and then sewing by machine to be quite interesting. Check it out and see what you think. I haven't had much luck getting a quality machine-sewn binding but the way she does it might be an improvement over the common method I've seen on other sites (the method I tried and had no luck with).
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Re: Bias Binding and Machine application of binding by Lori Baker

That is a cool machine foot she uses at the end.

Comment

Bias binding is something I've never tried....I should remedy that.
      Shirley aka buckeyequilter
      I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Rebecca, have you ever seen that 1/4" Steam A Seam fusible she used? I would love to find that and try it.

Comment

I want some Steam A Seam 1/4", too.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Here you go girls. The Warm Company make it
            Lite Steam-A-Seam Fusible Fabric Iron Ons

and here tells you where you can get it from. Hope it might help.
            Where to Buy Warm Company Products
            Last edited by LorraineRob; April 7, 2014, 02:49 PM.
            I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
            Lorraine

Comment

I haven't been able to find the steam a seam tape for quite awhile. I still have some in my stash, but I also use the Heat n Bond 1/4" quilters tape. Its the 2-sided lightweight tape. You can get that at Joann's

Fabrics.com carries E-Z lightweight steam tape which is pretty much the same stuff and can be re-positioned until permanently ironed down.
              https://www.fabric.com/buy/0325510/p...rds-tape-white
              Last edited by Sharyn J; April 7, 2014, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Have you read about the Steam A seam production problems? The source of ther release paper closed down, they had to find a new source, test it and built new machinery to process the product. That is why it is hard to find. They want to make sure the product is as good as it once was before they put it out on the market again.

http://warmcompany.com/sas-update.html
                Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; April 7, 2014, 03:23 PM.

Comment

This looks a bit neater than the Elmer's glue stick I use...I'll have to try this out..I also tried running the Biggest basting stitch I have to hold the binding down, just trying to find a way to hold it there while I stitch from the front side. I haven't stitched from the front side yet. I will probably prefer to use the Elmers Glue or Steam a seam way.

Thanks for posting this.

Comment

I found steam a seam on Amazon tonight - ships from Warm Company with free shipping. It was $16.00 for the 20 yard roll.

Comment

I wish they would have shown how it looks from the back once it is done. She talks about having a fuller binding by leaving some batting extending beyond the quilt edge because that is what judges look for in quilt shows; but I'm not sure having a line of top stitching showing on the back will win any awards. But I would love to finish a binding by machine instead of hand; it just takes too long!

Comment

That is an interesting foot, wonder if I can get one for my machine and do I really need it. I like steam a seam products never used this for binding though it looks neat and easy it does add a few extra steps.Since I don't do show quilts not sure I want to go through all that extra.
                        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                        Sigmund Freud

Comment

Sorry wrong spot!

I found this at another quilting board.. thought it something others might like (like we need another thing to want to do)..

The Double Nickel Quilt Challenge: Scrappy Nickel Dutch Rose quilt block tutorial
                          "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                          that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I wonder if using the Steam a Seam makes the binding a bit stiff? I also wonder what happens down the road after it starts degrading?
                            See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

Comment

I have used this on almost every quilt I have made and it does make the binding a bit stiff at first. It does get softer over time/washing etc., I really like its ability to stand up to many a grandchild dragging the quilt across the floor/grass etc. I've actually never hand binded a quilt so this is my go to way.. machine done.
                              If you don't ask, you don't get. Ghandi

Toni

Comment

Working...
                              X