Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Idea for your DH's Tape Measure !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Idea for your DH's Tape Measure !!!

Here's a great idea for your DH's metal tape measure.........( of course make sure the tape measure is an old one )

I just found this while surfing the net......it's really a great idea ! I am going to make some tonight.
    Snap Bag
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdfg...yer_detailpage

Has anyone made any of these ?
    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Re: Great Idea for your DH's Tape Measure !!!

Oooh yes! I made about 20 of them for Christmas gifts last year and they were a hit. Another 10 this year for more gifts (a gal that got one from me last year asked me to make some for her to give this year). The only advice I can really give is to make sure you slide the tape in right so it 'snaps' and don't run over the tape with your needle. I haven't done that, but would probably break a needle if you do. I didn't put that little pull tab on them, but I did use a decorative stitch - like a scallop stitch - on the tops where you sew them across. I also used fabrics geared to the receipients likes. They are really cool to make larger ones for a small child if they are sick and then slip in an activity book and markers. The little girl I made that one for now uses her bag for her Bible when she goes to church. I've had the people I've made them for tell me they use them for makeup, their camera, their sewing supplies, use as a small purse, etc.

Have fun!
    Hugs,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Such a clever idea. Would be good change purses to have in the car for those who need toll money in the car
      Karen
      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Oh yeah, I've made a bunch of them for my church group to sell. I think I made 12 of them and they sold out within the hour. They have so many purposes and can be made any size, so it's a great project. I'm going to make 63 of them for a Walk to Emmaus that will be in March. I have a month to make them!

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/how...osure-bag.html
        Last edited by snippet; January 27, 2014, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Everyone was making those at the M* retreat too. Jean had directions for us all to us and Karen brought all the tape measure pieces already cut and taped for us too!

Comment

Make sure you pull the tape all the way out and cut it, otherwise it will spin back in and those cases are near impossible to get apart. I only know this because I tried for an hour to take the case apart before my husband saw what I was doing and just told me to pull it out and cut it.....duh.
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I thought this would be a great little gift for everyone I know, men & women alike. A small one for change etc. a bigger one for make-up, etc. The ideas are endless !!
              Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
              http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I made a bunch at Christmas. Nice little present. I love QuiltingTrish's idea of using it for a bible cover. Have to try some bigger ones!

Comment

My husband loves these, he used to buy them at craft shows made out of leather that had a little hook on the inside to snap your keys onto. Thanks for sharing this, I will be making several.
                  See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

Comment

How funny is this. I just spent the morning making a batch of these. I have several more cut out, but I used up all the tape measure and need to run out for more. But it's too danged cold to run out today.....so not gonna do it. I'll take a pic and post it for you all to see. BRB

Comment

I really want to make these. Don't forget that the dollar stores have the measuring tapes.
                      Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Originally posted by ilive2craft2 View Post
                        I really want to make these. Don't forget that the dollar stores have the measuring tapes.
                        Be sure the measuring tapes you buy are wide though. If they are too thin, they aren't strong enough to snap back and forth. Generally anything over 1/2" is fine.

Comment

Here are my click bags. I have made others, but they didn't stay around very long.IMG_0098.jpgIMG_0099.jpgIMG_0096.jpg
                          As you can tell, I am the world's worst photographer.

Mine are different sizes because I simply use whatever scraps I have and just cut the metal tape to fit.

As to the dollar store tapes - I have read that they are too thin and don't work as well as the ones from Lowes or Home Depot or somewhere like that. I haven't tried them myself though - so can't say if that's true or not. I've been robbing them from DH, but I've depleted that source and now must buy my own - LOL

Also - In 2 of the links above it says to put the metal tape strips in so that the bowed part is to the front, but the lady on youtube says to do just the opposite.....so I'm a little puzzled here as well. Hey Jean - can you tell us which way is best??
                          Last edited by Carol336; January 28, 2014, 12:19 PM.

Comment

I've made several. So quick and fun. And, all you need are scraps.
                            My friends call me Peggy
                            The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

Wow Carol336! Your bags look great! Aren't they fun to make?

I think the difference in how you insert the tapes is because some of the instructions say to insert the tapes, then turn the bag inside out, while other instructions put the tape insertion at the end of the process. I just make sure the tape markings are on the inside of the bag.

Comment

Working...
                              X