Scrappy Quilt Block (Scrap Buster)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrappy Quilt Block (Scrap Buster)

I was surfing YouTube this morning looking for quilting videos. I found a new channel I hadn't viewed before: Kris O'Neil's "Sew the Distance". She posted her favorite scrap buster for using 2.5" squares. (You could use the same pattern for 3.5" squares if you want a larger block.) She makes 4 units of 9-patches (see sample unit) then combines them for the entire block. The video is 13 min. long. (Sorry, I don't know how to post the link. Maybe someone else will do that for us.) I plan to use this pattern to use up some of my scraps.

Scrap Quilt Block -2.5 pieces - 7-30-22.png 2.5 section of scrap quilt block.png

Ooooh! I like that! I found the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LKQ...SewtheDistance
    Patrice S

Comment

Nice find!
      Karen
      Spring, TX

Comment

Isn’t this like Good Night Irene from Mo Star? Katrina made one using that pattern.

Comment

• KPH
          KPH commented
          Editing a comment
          It is under another name, Joy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex2wmgSKJl4

• TMP
          TMP commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking the same thing, Jean. JCY, I do like it and I had never thought about making it completely scrappy. Thanks for posting it.
          Last edited by TMP; July 31, 2022, 10:46 AM.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
          Editing a comment
          That's what I thought -- I only remember it because I have it bookmarked to make one day.

Yes it does look like that. It is one of Jenny's very early tutorials but I don't think it comes up as that name. It's in the Spring 2015 Block magazine. I just looked for it the other day. I am going to make it for my sis. I picked that one because Irene was our mom's and grandmother's name.
        Ginny B
        Levittown, NY

Comment

4 patch x' and o's

https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...-awesome-quilt
          Wendy
          http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

• JCY
            JCY commented
            Editing a comment
            This is not the same pattern. This block is made up of 4 - 9-patches, not 4-patches. And the points are within the block, not from the block next to it. It may look similar, but it's different.

Today I worked on collecting/cutting 2.5" squares & making some HSTs. I finally had enough to make one block. Scraps as well as leftover binding strips or JR strips work well. I have it all laid out, but only had time to assemble 1/4 of the block. If I decide to make this quilt, I'll need to do a lot more collecting & cutting pieces & organize my scraps. I think using 3-1/2" pieces would be much easier & would make a quilt faster.
            Last edited by JCY; July 30, 2022, 08:00 PM.

It is the goodnight irene but M* used larger blocks. I made it way back when...and yes, I think the name got changed but it was in one of the first block magazines and the story that went with it was sweet.
          success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
          Terry of NC

Comment

I like that block. I need to start cutting 2 1/2" squares when I'm looking for things to do. They are so versatile in blocks. Thanks for the link. I've never seen Kris O'Neil before but I like her because she goes with the flow & doesn't seem to panic about "not perfect" blocks" which is my type of quilting.
            Texas

Comment

A Completed Sample Block ~ I've been working since yest. afternoon on cutting scraps & assembling a sample block. The 2.5" squares are a bit tedious & time consuming, but I like the look. The block is divided into 4 sections of 9-patches. I stick a pin in the upper L. piece of each unit so I'll keep each section oriented correctly. I take the 9-patch pieces off to another smaller block board to take to the sewing table & assemble. If one uses a scant 1/4" seams, the unit will come out to 6.5" with little or no trimming. It's important to square each unit before assembling all 4 sections. I planned ahead with the pressing & alternated directions so all seams would nest. Where the HSTs come together, I folded them in opposite directions & carefully partially snipped the fabric & also used my Clover Pen to help flatten the seams so the fabric would lay down. If I were to make more blocks, I'll have to do a lot of cutting squares. For now, I'll set this aside as a future project. Here are my pictures. (1) Completed block. (2) Pieces laid out with bottom R. unit assembled. (3) Working on one 9-P unit. In looking over these pics, I see that gray square in the middle should have been a darker fabric. Thanks for looking.

P1040225.jpg P1040223.jpg P1040224.jpg

Comment

• Chantal
                Chantal commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for posting your pictures. Very pretty!

• Monique
                Monique commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome Joy, thanks.

Lovely block -- whatever it is called and a very good use of scraps.
              Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Working...
              X