Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design Boards

Hello friends!

Do you use design boards? I haven't tried them yet, but just made some following Lori Holt's tutorial. Not sure where I'll store them, lol, but here they are. Here's also the link...

https://youtu.be/uO-fosn6Yfs

I used foam core board from the dollar store, warm and white batting and a jelly roll for the binding. They are also for sale at M* and Fat Quarter Shop. Not mine, but Lori's, lol!

20210904_165719.jpg
    Last edited by Hillbillyhike; September 4, 2021, 06:15 PM.
    Hike ~ BC, Canada

Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Those look great! Thanks for the link and the tutorial reminder. I made one a long time ago with lady bug fabric. It sits inside the window shade to block the sun.
    Last edited by Rhonda K; September 5, 2021, 05:49 AM.
    A bucket of sunshine from the East Coast FL!
    Like sands through the hour glass-sew are the days of our lives!

Comment

I use them often to move block parts to the sewing table from the cutting table. Because of the batting or flannel the segments don't fly away from the fan of a wagging tail.
      Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

I use them but make my own very basic ones. I keep foam board on hand & make them to fit the size block I'm working on, up to 20 inches so far. I cut the board to the size needed, spray it with 505, cover it with leftover batting & trim off the excess.
        Diana Grey

Comment

I don't use one but see that it could be handy. Lori Holt is very talented and her patterns very well written but I think most of the products with her name are way overpriced.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. That's why I made my own. All of those for the price of buying one of hers.

I made a couple a few years ago following Lori Holt's tutorial as well. I usually use them when I'm cutting the pieces. I put them on the board and label them with pins that have numbers on them, except I used my label machine to make alphabets for the other side of the pins since most patterns label the pieces alphabetically.

I feel like I'm rambling..... I hope that makes sense.
          Maria
          Alberta, Canada

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            I love this idea as well! Thanks Maria!

That is so funny! I am in the process of making eight of these for Tuesday (when the quilt club meets). I have made them using foam board, batting, and then scraps from bindings. I have also made them using artist's canvas boards. Instead of using hot glue, I have used Elmer's Washable School Glue. It doesn't burn the fingers and I have used it on boards that are over two years old and they are holding up just fine. So, to answer the question, yes, I do make the design boards and and I also use them. Sorry for the long post ...

Comment

• Bubby
            Bubby commented
            Editing a comment
            I like your idea of using Elmer’s glue. I make these and use them often.
            Last edited by Bubby; September 5, 2021, 06:08 AM.

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            This is a great idea. Thanks Debbie!

I also use them and made my own. They help me to keep blocks that have pieces turn different directions in order. I use a lint brush to clean off the strings left behind.
          Teresa
          Pelham, Alabama
          War Eagle!!!

Comment

I made one several months ago, but because of the hot glue mess, stopped with one. Perhaps the school glue maybe better suited to my talents!!!

Comment

I have some design boards that I made years ago. They are so handy to take block pieces to the sewing machine and keep them in order. I used the foam board and glued felt to them. Use them all the time!

Comment

I made mine from the corrugated plastic like political signs are made with. I put my sewing machine on large stitches and sewed my batting on with the large stitch on my machine. I haven't put any "binding" on them yet. LOL It has been a few years since I made them. http://thehappyzombie.com/blog/?p=652
                So. Illinois just south of St Louis County

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                  Hillbillyhike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh! I didn't think to sew them. Great idea! Thanks for sharing the link.

In the first year, I made my own from a hard board I covered with 1" grid fabric. I made it about 14-15" wide, as I realized that 12 1/2" was a pretty common block size. On the back I put some fabric and I wrote things I learned about quilting. I will take a picture and post. I keep by my sewing machine, when I am working on a block that I could screw up.
                Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Working...
                X